Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi guys,

Sorry for posting a linux question here, I could have swore there was an "alternate OS forum" but I can't seem to find it so I figured I imagined it.

I have Mint installed in a virtual machine as a test for an actual system I'll be working on at work and I only need to know one thing...

...How on earth do I make this so that Blender will show up under Graphics? I can't use the repository because its an older version in there. The new version runs just fine if I open the folder and click "Blender", but since this will be for a new artist at work in the end I don't trust them with having folders they have to navigate to or icons on the desktop.

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    235.5 KB · Views: 130

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Surely there is a Mint forum you can post in?

Did you consider googling, say "mint forum" or something radical like that?

Yep but its locked and I still haven't received my activation email so that I can post : /

The other one I posted to said "Consult the man pages" as if I'm stupid and haven't tried that (despite stating up front I've exhausted all options).

Oh well I'll just wait for the forum email : /

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Yep but its locked and I still haven't received my activation email so that I can post : /

The other one I posted to said "Consult the man pages" as if I'm stupid and haven't tried that (despite stating up front I've exhausted all options).

Oh well I'll just wait for the forum email : /

Ubuntuforums.org

Mint is Debain/Ubuntu.

Kinda obvious ,but check the read me.

To update just use

Sudo apt-get upgrade

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
/r/linux will help you.

AFAIK, you can make it show up in Graphics by writing a shell script to launch the app and placing it in the correct folder, but I don't know the specifics I'm afraid.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You won't get a straight answer from Macrumors about Linux. Now, the obvious missing question from everyone answering you (you failed to provide enough information for us to actually help you) :

- Which flavor of desktop are you running ? Mint Linux can be used with KDE, LXDE, MSGE (Mint Shell Gnome Extensions) or plain Gnome 3. From your screenshot, it's not plainly obvious, as the default Mint with MSGE doesn't have a top menu bar.

To me, that looks like plain old Gnome Shell from Gnome 3 (ugh...). Seriously consider running a better desktop environnement if you can. Now, just searching in Google for "Gnome Shell editing menu" (the obvious first step) you get the following thread :

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=266719

Basically, edit stuff manually under /usr/share/applications/ or in your user's home in $HOME/.local/share/applications/.

Gnome 3 sucks.

One point about using Linux : Learn to not rely on forums, learn to Google more. It'll save you both time and wasted effort as most people don't understand that Linux is not a monolithic system with 1 true answer. Questions often require much more details about your actual system and configuration before anyone can give you a straight answer.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
One point about using Linux : Learn to not rely on forums, learn to Google more. It'll save you both time and wasted effort as most people don't understand that Linux is not a monolithic system with 1 true answer. Questions often require much more details about your actual system and configuration before anyone can give you a straight answer.

True, my shell script thing is based on what I read about Debian since the screenshot looks like it's the Debian based Mint distro (judging by the desktop environment).

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
True, my shell script thing is based on what I read about Debian since the screenshot looks like it's the Debian based Mint distro (judging by the desktop environment).

It is Mint, he says so in his first post. But Mint comes in 4 flavors for desktops. Which one is he running ? That'll change the answer.

Heck, I run Arch Linux at work, but I run Enlightenment DR16 as my desktop. Someone might be running xmonad, or using a dock like Avant. That's why I say : Figure out what you're running, Google about that and you'll find the answer about 99% of the time yourself much easier than back and forth on forums.

Linux is about knowledge and knowing what you're running. It becomes complicated only when you don't actually know what is going on.

That's why I hate distros like Mint, Ubuntu and other "easy to set up" flavors. It hides so much details, when a user finds he has a question, he has about 0 clue about where to start looking. When you actually know what packages you installed to get to where you are, you are much more empowered to search and figure out problems/questions you might have.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It is Mint, he says so in his first post. But Mint comes in 4 flavors for desktops. Which one is he running ? That'll change the answer.

Heck, I run Arch Linux at work, but I run Enlightenment DR16 as my desktop. Someone might be running xmonad, or using a dock like Avant. That's why I say : Figure out what you're running, Google about that and you'll find the answer about 99% of the time yourself much easier than back and forth on forums.

Linux is about knowledge and knowing what you're running. It becomes complicated only when you don't actually know what is going on.

That's why I hate distros like Mint, Ubuntu and other "easy to set up" flavors. It hides so much details, when a user finds he has a question, he has about 0 clue about where to start looking. When you actually know what packages you installed to get to where you are, you are much more empowered to search and figure out problems/questions you might have.

I know, I was agreeing with you on that :)

I like Ubuntu even though I'm quite tech savvy and have set up Linux installs where I've had to spend hours compiling things. Reason being, it's still Linux and you can still muck about with it and do everything in the terminal if you want, but you don't need to in order to do things on your system. So different strokes for different folks really, that's what Linux is all about after all with its many distros :)

You do have a point about people who aren't so tech savvy using Linux, but then they don't know how their Windows computers actually work behind the scenes either, hence the large amounts of money made by "IT experts" who fix f'ed up Windows installs for a living ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.