Linux Ubuntu, and bootcamp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applefan69, Dec 25, 2008.

1. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

To be frank i dont know where to post a thread like this, but this is my favorite board in these forums so im posting here. But mods can move this as they think is appropriate.

So, I followed a guide, and used bootcamp to dual-boot Ubuntu, with OS X. This was fairly easy, nothing i couldnt do myself.

Somehow i messed that ubuntu install up, i was just trying to install the wifi drivers for my macbook and i messed it up so it crashed upon start up. Not being a linux nerd i didnt know how to fix it. I decided to download a newer version of ubuntu (8.10) because that supposedly works with macbooks wifi out of install. :D

So i burn my 8.10 disk and I go to install, the partitioning part I assumed would be simple. The way things were BEFORE were like this

/sda/dev/ 60-somethingGB (OS X partition
    /sda/dev2/ idk i never used this parition it was only a few MB
    /sda/dev3/ 10GB (ubuntu partition... although bootcamp made my mac recognize this as a window install)
    /sda/dev4/ 1GB (this was just a linux swap partition, because i had heard it was good to have a partition the size fo your RAM, while dual-booting.

What i did when installing 8.10 was i simply, deleted /sda/dev3/ then i made a new partition in its place and installed 8.10 in that. I assumed OS X wouldn't even notice a change.

After install now though if i hold 'Option' key to go to the "select Start up disk" screen, it only shows Macintosh HD as a start-up disk.

So I dont know what to do now, any help? I went to my bootcamp utility on OS X and it wont let me do anything, because it says my HD is already formatted for bootcamp.

Here is how Disk Utility views my HDD

[​IMG]

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'd put your OS X install disk in and restart holding the option key. If you have the firmware prompt enter your password... and go to the installer. I am *not* telling you to reinstall, simply open up disk utility from the menu bar and verify/repair the disk. Not permissions, the disk. See if that helps any.

The repair disk button will not be faded out when you access disk utility from the OS X install disk.

Attached Files: