Linux/Ubuntu and OS X NETWORK

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by LuapStar, Aug 23, 2009.

1. LuapStar macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone!

I would like to either create a server or a well working network between my Ubuntu machine and my MacBook Pro. The thing is, I want to be able to move my files between the computers in some smart way.

If you guys could help me with my issue I would be very grateful! And please if possible could you explain it step-by-step?

Thank you very much in advance!

2. LuapStar thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I connect them with a lan cable, to achieve faster file sharing?

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

4. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Right out of the box you can use SSH (SFTP/SCP) - on Linux install sshd (Ubuntu: sudo apt-get install openssh-server) and on OSX go to Sharing in System Preferences and enable remote login.

Both OSX and Ubuntu will allow you to connect to the other using GUI - so you can browse/copy files easily.

It is going to be a little slow over wireless - so if you can connect them using a Gigabit router/switch or direct cable that would be a lot faster.

5. belvdr macrumors 603

That will be much slower than unencrypted methods (NFS, SMB, etc). If you're moving a lot of data, and security isn't an issue, I'd advise against SSH-based solutions due to performance.

6. LuapStar thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again,

What does FTP, NFS, SMB mean?
    I know that smb is samba, but how does it work?
    How does the others work and how do I install them?
    Anyone keen explaining?

B.t.w I got it working with a program called FUGU on :apple:, and I suppose it's by ftp. I can reach my ubuntu machine by using fugu, this program finds the other comp IP...

Thank you in advance!