Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sleepytimemike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011 with dual drives via an Optibay. I am running Lion OS off my SSD which is currently in the main drive bay and the original 500GB HDD is in the Optibay drive. I am interested in dual booting by putting Ubuntu on the HDD in the Optibay slot. Is this possible through simply installing Linux on the HDD and choosing that drive when booting my system or do I need to use boot camp somehow to accomplish this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its possible but I definitely recommend you review the documentation, wiki and information found over on the ubuntu site. Not to scare you away but rather get the information for you to do this.

I was able to install Ubuntu on my laptop, but I also have seen people create a triple boot, i.e., OSX, windows and Linux.

rEfit was one of the things you need to help you achieve this

sleepytimemike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Great, thanks guys. I read all the documentation and decided to just use a live CD so that I can have the flexibility of using Ubuntu on multiple computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.