Linux yaboot removal?

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Hi. I was wondering if there was a way to remove Yaboot from Linux on my iBook, without losing the Linux partition. My idea was that the computer would always boot into OS X, but when I held option, it would give me the option to boot into Linux. :D Thanks!
-jrsx

ifrit05

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
You know you can configure yaboot to automatically boot into OS X by default right? Why would you get rid of it? Do you still use Linux on your machine?

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Do you mean by going into system prefs and changing the boot disk? It only shows OS X and network...when I choose OS X it still loads yaboot.

ifrit05

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
If you have yaboot installed it can be configured to automatically load and give you a choice to boot to CD/DVD, Network, Open Firmware, Linux, or Mac OS X.

You have to configure this while in Linux though.
Add these lines in /etc/yaboot.conf

Code:
enableofboot
enablecdboof
enablenetboot
defaultos=macosx
then type "sudo ybin -v" in a terminal without quotes. It will update yaboot's config.

When you boot the Mac next it should give you options to boot with other devices. i.e.:

Code:
l - linux
x - macosx
c - cdrom
n - netboot
o - open firmware
Just press one of those key to get to the said OS/Open Firmware. But it should boot OS X by default with the defaultos=macosx option. :)

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So when I'm done with this, should it automatically boot OS X from then on out? Also, should I use the terminal in Linux or OS X to type "sudo ybin -v"? Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.