Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Hi. I was wondering if there was a way to remove Yaboot from Linux on my iBook, without losing the Linux partition. My idea was that the computer would always boot into OS X, but when I held option, it would give me the option to boot into Linux. :D Thanks!
-jrsx

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Do you mean by going into system prefs and changing the boot disk? It only shows OS X and network...when I choose OS X it still loads yaboot.

ifrit05

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2013
Near Detroit, MI. USA
If you have yaboot installed it can be configured to automatically load and give you a choice to boot to CD/DVD, Network, Open Firmware, Linux, or Mac OS X.

You have to configure this while in Linux though.
Add these lines in /etc/yaboot.conf

Code:
enableofboot
enablecdboof
enablenetboot
defaultos=macosx

then type "sudo ybin -v" in a terminal without quotes. It will update yaboot's config.

When you boot the Mac next it should give you options to boot with other devices. i.e.:

Code:
l - linux
x - macosx
c - cdrom
n - netboot
o - open firmware

Just press one of those key to get to the said OS/Open Firmware. But it should boot OS X by default with the defaultos=macosx option. :)

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
So when I'm done with this, should it automatically boot OS X from then on out? Also, should I use the terminal in Linux or OS X to type "sudo ybin -v"? Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.