Lion 10.7.1 update on 2007 MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Badrottie, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I know many of you already have latest MBP like 2010 or 2011 but I don't know anyone with 2007 MBP issues with Lion OSX? I am thinking about ordering Lion next month after Apple fixed all 10.7 bugs with 10.7.1 update.

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I run Lion on a 2007 MacBook (not the Pro, so MBP should be better)

The only minor problem I have is with Safari, it eats up all my RAM, meaning I need to restart it after a few hours

Apart from that it runs swell as SL did

3. chrfr macrumors 603

The 10.7.1 update has been out for some time now. It's foolish to think that all bugs will be fixed with any update, so if you need a computer now, buy it now.

4. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

Thank you very much guys…29.95 is very tempting….

5. tpg macrumors regular

Did you do an upgrade, or fresh installation? I'm running a late 2007 macbook (the santa rosa revision), and it definitely runs a little bit hotter under lion. For most tasks speed & responsiveness are basically unchanged in my experience - except for scrolling, particularly in safari.

In addition to the RAM hogging, I also find scrolling in safari is not nearly as smooth compared to older safari versions on SL. I wonder whether this is due to the method apple uses to hardware-accelerate scrolling, as turning off acceleration for the whole OS X UI in Quartz Debug gives much smoother scrolling. I don't think it's an issue of graphics horsepower either - at least on 10.7.0, all the macs at my local apple store suffered from less than silky smooth scrolling, even a mac pro with a fairly powerful graphics card. Will have to go back and check at some point to see if 10.7.1/2 improves things...

6. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

The only way your mac is running hotter is if:

A. Lion altered the fan speeds to make them run lower at lower temps = good for batter life.

B. A process(s) is using it, i.e. CPU is processing things.

As for my 2010 MBP it's running just like it did in SL... amazingly!

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I am running on an upgrade from SL (which was an original Tiger install, upgrade through each version since)

Dont notice any problems with scrolling, seems smooth

The only time I notice the fans come on is when I get low on RAM and it starts paging out (mainly Safari has used it all up)

I did try doing a clean install (on an external drive), the only main difference I noticed was it started up much quicker, performance was the same

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

10.7.1 is a tiny update so I don't think it addresses many issues. Conversely 10.7.2 is rather large so hopefully that it fixes a number of problems

9. dijonemon macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2007 macbook and lion runs fine. A few glitches for animations, such as the move to full screen, can be a bit slow but your MBP should be better. I don't use Safari so I dont get the memory issues - Chrome works well for me and I use it on all my laptops, including the Mac.

10. ruiz00tx macrumors newbie

I have a mid-2007 MB and I'm going to wait. My MB is running perfect right now with SL.