Lion 10.7.2 - Fresh Install . . ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by IeU, Oct 12, 2011.

1. IeU macrumors member

Is it possible to fresh install Lion 10.7.2? (Is/Will be an image of 10.7.2 be available to do a fresh install?)

Thanks,
    IeU.

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Going by how it was last time, 10.7.2 will be available on the MAS, so you can download it from there to do a clean install

3. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

This, but IIRC the MAS download wasn't updated right away when 10.7.1 was pushed to Software Update so you may have to wait a couple days.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what if you update to 10.7.2 than make a new usb recovery disk, will that allow you to do a fresh install? or does the recovery disk assistant default back to 10.7?

5. IeU thread starter macrumors member

6. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

mac app store

7. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

(Mac) App Store.

8. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Internet recovery if yours is new enough might also work.

9. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

anyone can tell the process for fresh install. thanks.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Can't you just install the combo update when its available? That's what I'll be doing

11. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

i had snow leopard before lion so i want a fresh install with 10.7.2.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Gotcha,

So far there does not seem to be an easy or feasible way to create a slip streamed install of OSX like you can with windows. If you wait long enough, apple will eventually refresh the MAS version of Lion to 10.7.2 but that will take time and you'll not have the iCloud features/bug fixes.

13. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

what do you mean i will not have iCloud features/bug fixes?

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you stay on SnowLeopard and wait for apple to update Lion in the Mac Apple Store to 10.7.2, you will not have the iCloud functionality available in OSX. Plus 10.7.2 has some bug fixes to Lion as well.

Sorry if my post was not clear but I was suggesting if you wait, then you lose out on iCloud. If you install 10.7.1 from MAS and then update to 10.7.2 when its available you'll of course have all the bug fixes/iCloud integration

15. johnywalker1989 macrumors regular

i believe because of such a big update like that with iCloud and all that staff apple will not waist time and will put it faster on MAS.

You know a guide to saw me how to do it?

16. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

The recovery partition on your drive does not store OS X Lion or other install data.

When you make a fresh install, the OS and apps are downloaded and stored on the disk you are installing to. This includes Lion, all the updates that also includes things such as the latest iTunes etc.

You can verify after install by running Software Update, there will be nothing to update as everything is installed to the latest version.

17. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

I'm not completely sure I get your drift. Are you claiming, then, that the recovery partition, lacking any Lion install data, just magically manages to connect to whatever Internet connection it can find (by purely guessing IP addresses and such things) and then downloads whatever is needed? That would be amazing, man! Isn't there a Nobel prize for such an achievement?!

18. Gemütlichkeit macrumors 65816

Gemütlichkeit

I am using the same OS version from early 2008. Whatever version of 10.5.x it was. I've done every incremental update since then, to snow leopard, now to lion. I've even switched hardware from a early 2008 MBP to a 2011 MBA.

I've never seen any slowdown or any need to do a fresh install. I use my mac daily from work and home.

I just make sure my OS is clean and nothing unwanted is running in the background.

19. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Yes.

The installer has to be connected to the Internet if you install on a formatted or new partition/drive, or to reinstall. It will ask you to connect to a wi-fi network if there is no wired network, and then prompt you for your Mac App Store ID and password to verify you have purchased OS X Lion. The OS, updates and apps then download, once downloaded are then installed.

20. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the clarification. Clever process indeed!

21. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

Looks like the MAS already has 10.7.2 updated and ready for download. I'm downloading now, will post if it's an earlier version.

22. turner7205 macrumors newbie

I am confused by this. What I am taking from what you just suggested was that if you did not upgrade to lion prior to 10.7.2, then you will not be able to use / have iCloud ever. I know I missed something, please clarify!!!

23. IeU thread starter macrumors member

Can some1 else confirm this?

Thanks!

edit,

asking myself how do i get the image file downloaded from MAS, if i already have Lion installed . . .

24. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes 10.7.2 is already in the mac app store

hold option key and click app store, continue to hold and click "purchased" than you should see lion listed continue to hold option and click where it says installed and you can download again

http://www.mactrast.com/2011/09/how-to-create-a-bootable-dvd-disc-for-os-x-lion/