Lion and AppleDisplayScaleFactor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kayut, Jul 10, 2011.

1. kayut, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

kayut macrumors member

Hi,

High-resolution screens do look great for viewing photos, watching movies, or working on editing software. But for general purpose stuff like browsing, reading emails and navigation your eyes will hurt.

You cannot change the system wide font size like you can do it easily under Widnows:

[​IMG]

Apple suggested changing the resolution-which made things slightly blurred and the screen more difficult to work with and also the universal access, which I didn't care for either.
    That is the problem with these ultra resolution screens!

I did not yet check the Tinkertool (the version which works with Lion is not free anymore).

But the terminal command for changing the value for AppleDisplayScaleFactor for a single application was the best solution in my case (My biggest issue with the small fonts was the mail programs.):

Single application scaling
    defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.25

Global scaling
    defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.25

Unfortunately Lion doesn’t support this command any more.
    Does anybody know how can I bring it to work under Lion?

Thanks

2. kayut thread starter macrumors member

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

You know you can change font sizes in 'Mail' itself right? CMND+, and then inside the Fonts & Colors tab.

4. kayut, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

kayut thread starter macrumors member

But this is not enough as the menue bar and all the other elements still stay tiny.

However my focus in this thread is the command AppleDisplayScaleFactor in Lion.

How can I change the scale for a single app when AppleDisplayScaleFactor in not supported in Lion any more?

5. kayut thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Has anybody found a way to use AppleDisplayScaleFactor on Lion ?

6. GekkePrutser, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

Nope :( Not working in 10.7.3. I've tried everything.

I was trying it myself because I hate the high DPI on my 11" MBA. I would have loved a 1280x720 display or even bigger.

The HiDPI modes also don't seem to work if enabled in the Quartz tool (and really, it won't be useful anyway because that's a fixed scaling factor of 2.0 it would leave too little resolution to work, at 683x384 :) That's less than an iPhone.

So now the only option is to set the resolution of the display lower than native and have it super blurry :(

Edit: PS Sorry for the thread resurrection, I found this on Google searching for the same thing, should have checked the date of the topic.