Lion and Canon LBP5100

Discussion in 'iMac' started by goenka, Jul 21, 2011.

1. goenka macrumors newbie

Upgraded to Lion yesterday and my Canon LBP5100 printer does not work. Printer driver only capable unto SL 10.6. Any way round to this?

2. glenmac45 macrumors newbie

Give Canon a Good kicking

I'm in the same boat and not for the first time. Every time Apple upgrade the OS Canon drop the ball.
    I have now owned the printer for 31 months and I doubt that it been able to operate more than 50% of the time through driver problems. Canon are by some way the slowest organisation to deal with these problems. It could be that that their software department is 98% PC orientated.
    It is only about 2 months since I downloaded a Canon driver upgrade after a Snow Leopard upgrade. To given them their due, the printer has been running as well as it ever has.
    But along comes Lion - and zilch.
    Canon will rectify the problem, but in about 4 to 5 months time, so you can either learn to write in copperplate(!) or buy another printer as backup.
    I do have an inkjet, which also happens to be a Canon, and I have been having a heated correspondence with them on their printer driver on that machine - so you may wish to consider another provider for your backup model.
    Alternatively, if you are good at writing printer driver programs you may like to apply for a job!!

3. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

Same problem. I won't be getting another Canon. Now I'm on the look out for something that will play nice with Time Capsule and Lion.

4. paullai macrumors newbie

5. SpinningPrism macrumors newbie

No Duplex

Yes it does work, in a limited fashion. Duplex does not work (option greyed out), and seeing that is why I chose this printer it makes it not so useful. If anyone has seen a way to trick the option to become available I would appreciate it! Currently considering dumping both apple (OS) and canon.
    Cheers,
    spinning beachballs etc

6. Plastimac macrumors newbie

Loose Canon

Raising the matter with Canon, I had a reply that combined the helpful with the bizarre.

We are sorry that you are having problems locating the driver on Mac OSX 10.7 for your i-SENSYS LBP5100. The driver has been created, but new drivers are not always available on the UK site, as it is currently under maintenance.

The driver is available on the Australian site, at the following link:

CAPT Printer Driver Ver.3.40 for Mac OS X 10.4/10.5/10.6/10.7
    http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0100359005.html

Have not tried it yet, but it could be a useful secret.

7. SlyOneAU macrumors newbie

Mate you are a champion, thank you very much for the link. I have tested the prt drivers. You have a nice day mate.

8. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Canon doesn't seem to update all of their sites; different regions sometimes have different versions of software :(