Lion and Cisco IPSec VPN connections

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Silas1066, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Silas1066 macrumors regular

My company uses the Cisco IPSec VPN and the Cisco VPN client version 4.x

I run this under leopard without any problems.

However, it is my understanding that this client is end-of-life and does not work in a 64 bit environment. So I would like to use the integrated OSX VPN client, but I am running into issues:

In Snow Leopard, I have entered in all the VPN settings, but I always get a "Group password failed" when I try to connect. I am behind a router that is performing NAT.

So here are my questions:

1. Does the OSX integrated Cisco IPSec client (configured by adding it into your network preferences) work behind NAT?

2. Is there a 3rd party IPSec VPN client I can use in Snow Leopard and Lion that will function like the Cisco client?

3. Has anyone managed to get this to work in Lion?

2. ClassicMac1 macrumors newbie

The OS X client does work behind NAT.

I'm not aware off hand of another compatible client but I would highly recommend you use the client built in to OS X. I find it easier to use than the Cisco client and it even allows you to have multiple simultaneous VPN connections (unlike the Cisco client.)

There are 4 pieces of information you will need to connect.
    1. Group Name - You can find this in the VPN profile file in /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles. Open the file and look for the group name field.
    2. Shared Secret - This is also in the same file but in an encrypted form. Use Google and decide on a method to decrypt this. Once you have the decrypted string click on the Authentication Settings button in the VPN configuration in the Network System Preference. Enter the group name and shared secret.
    3. Account Name - This is your username.
    4. Password - This is your password.

Another helpful setting is the "Show VPN status in menu bar" checkbox in the VPN configuration in the Network System Preference. This will add an icon to your menu bar that will allow you to easily connect/disconnect from VPN.

Good Luck

3. JKingman macrumors newbie

Issues connecting 10.7 VPN client to PIX

Hola,

Mixed environment, some Windows PCs running the Cisco VPN client, some Mac laptops. Two are running Snowleopard, one is running Lion. Windows and Snowleopard connect just fine. The new lion laptop won't connect to the PIX firewall - returns the error "The VPN server did not respond. Verify the server address and try reconnecting."

Address is correct, all the credentials are correct... any thoughts? Is there a known issue between the OSX VPN client and a PIX?

Thanks!
    Jay