Lion and current Time Machine volume

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by netnothing, Jun 30, 2011.

1. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So has anyone who has installed any of the Lion DPs done so with a active Time Machine volume that has been backing up your Snow Leopard install?

Just curious as to whether Time Machine just 'picks up' from where it left off, or does it want to wipe the Time Machine drive and start over?

Thanks!

-Kevin

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Yep. Picked up where it left off. Smooth as the back of a baby's left knee cap.

Is that the phrase?

3. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

Nice....exactly what I wanted to hear. :D

Any idea on how big the initial backup was?

-Kevin

4. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

The initial back up to Time Machine was pretty fast, it took about five minutes from a fresh install of Lion. I was pleasantly surprised that Lion's first backup merged itself into Snow Leopard's file.

5. netnothing thread starter macrumors 68040

netnothing

What do you mean by fresh install of Lion? I'm assuming you installed it over Snow Leopard?

-Kevin

6. tdar macrumors 6502a

One note for people who are interested in this... New to Lion Time Machine shares MUST be AFP if networked. This has killed my Time Machine backup tro my Windows Home Server.

7. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

I backed up my Snow Leopard install to Time Machine, then formatted the drive via Disk Utility within the Lion installer. I restored the Lion install file to a USB key in order to boot from it.

8. Nik73 macrumors regular

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but a quick question if I may?

I'm getting a new imac next week that will hopefully have lion installed (if it does release this week). If it does, will I be able to use my snow leopard time machine backup from my macbook pro to restore everything (including ilife apps, etc) to the new imac.
    It would appear the answer is yes, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.