Lion and Final Cut Express

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 19jack50, Aug 12, 2011.

1. 19jack50 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if Lion will support Final Cut Express?

2. nesuser2 macrumors 6502

nesuser2

looks like it won't. I'm not a guru but I have 3.5 and just bought a machine with lion on it, says powerpc apps are no longer supported. If I search for FCE in the app store then it yields nothing so i am guessing that it was dropped. I'm sure somebody can step in and offer more details on this matter though

3. jbizzari macrumors newbie

What about FCE 4? I just purchased a refurbished iMac and am awaiting delivery. Snow is pre-installed but I get a free upgrade to Lion, if wanted. What does Apple expect us to edit Hi-Def with. I have a blu-ray burner that I haven't tried yet and Toast w/blu-ray plug-in. I was expecting to edit with FCE, but may have to switch to Premier Elements. Having both programs, I was trying to decide which to go with, but maybe Apple has decided for me.

4. kprice macrumors newbie

FCE 3.5 and Lion

FCE 3.5 WILL work with Lion. It's binary code. HOWEVER, you cannot install from the disk on a Lion machine as the Installer, if you can believe it, was written with PowerPC code (who would have thought?). So, when you get your machine, be sure to use the migration assistant and you should be fine. If not, you're in trouble. Otherwise, you CAN get it installed on Lion, but it's the complicated process of installing it on Snow Leopard first, then upgrading to Lion.

Better yet, if you can simply stay with Snow Leopard, you'd be better off for the time being. The FCE 3.5 installer isn't the only problem you'll have with Lion. Apple really screwed this operating system upgrade up for users.

5. sarahanwrapped macrumors newbie

sarahanwrapped

Installed FCE 4.0.1 from the install discs with Lion OS. Only had the time to open the program, not yet worked with live files.

6. videomarketing macrumors newbie

Lion and Final Cut Express

I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac, both with Final Cut Express. When I export the video on the MacBook (running on OSX 10.6.8) it exports to QuickTime beautifully, then to QTPro and looks great on YouTube.
    On my Mac, running on the new Lion, I cannot get the video to export with any bit of quality. I've messed with export settings, not drastically, but changed some things around and I still cannot manage to have it look good.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with Lion/FCE??