Lion and java compiler and JRE

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dacoolest, Feb 26, 2012.

1. dacoolest macrumors regular

Is Lion comes with a java compiler installed? I remember once I typed javac in in one of my friends newly bought mac and some info about the compiler was printed. But it seems mine doesn't have java pre-installed and I get a message saying that I need to install java. Just curious to know.

The next question is, is it recommended for normal users to not to install java components? (I've seen a certain article suggest to disable java to speed up browsing).

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is well-known that Apple no longer develops the Java Virtual Machine for MacOS X beginning with Lion. The responsibility for the Lion JVM has been assumed by Oracle/Sun. The first time that you try to run a Java app, you will be prompted to download the latest version of Java. When I installed Lion, I recall being given the option of downloading and installing the Java Virtual Machine then and there--which I did.

3. dacoolest thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Do you think apple is trying to ditch java? And, are there any security/performance related problems emerging if java is turned on?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Java is not Apple's to ditch. When Apple developed Java for MacOS X, the complaint was that MacOS X Java was perpetually behind the Sun-developed versions on other platforms. Now that Oracle/Sun develops Java for MacOS X, Mac users are secure in the knowledge that they will have the latest version of the Java environment as long as there is a market for Java.