Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babymor81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
hi all,

i know the MBA 2010 11inch is not a power machine.. is this Lion going to do anything good for it? or will it slow it down ? ( similar to how upgrading to the newer version of windows always snaps away some performance.. )

thanks!

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
It should run it fine. Apple usually will Optimize the OS to run smooth on all Machines. I have a 13" MBA with only 2GB of RAM and it is running very smoothly.

babymor81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
It should run it fine. Apple usually will Optimize the OS to run smooth on all Machines. I have a 13" MBA with only 2GB of RAM and it is running very smoothly.

sorry if it is a stupid qns cause i am new to mac.. what will this os upgrade do or bring to my MBA ? it wont make it faster right?

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
sorry if it is a stupid qns cause i am new to mac.. what will this os upgrade do or bring to my MBA ? it wont make it faster right?

I really like the Fullscreen Apps on my Laptop. This feature stands out more for me on my MBA than it does on my iMac. And the ability to swipe between Apps is really nice. Mission Control is awesome. I can see an overview of everything running and quickly switch to anything I need. I am much more efficient now, or at least it seems that way to me.

And sometimes to just nice to have something new and different. I am someone that likes change and welcomes it.

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011

Thanks. Will be pulling the trigger on my base 11".

YMark

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2008
Arizona
I installed it on my 2010 11" Air last night. Only has 2GB memory.

Lion runs fine on it (even with encryption), but in all honesty, I think Lion is overrated. Not a big deal really. Mission Control is a complete joke.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
hi all,

i know the MBA 2010 11inch is not a power machine.. is this Lion going to do anything good for it? or will it slow it down ? ( similar to how upgrading to the newer version of windows always snaps away some performance.. )

thanks!

I went to the apple store on wed and they were still running 2010 models with Lion running. They were still fast as ever.

babymor81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
thanks for all the replies.. i thought lion's iOS revolutionary features will make it great.. seems like it may not be worth the $

thaialism

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
san diego
bought my mba 11" back in Feb. with 2gb of ram and 128gb, with roughly 90gb free at the moment.

with lion i noticed that my safari is faster? as in it loads the pages faster.
i tend to get down to about 30-70mb of free memory?
and my dock sometimes get stuck.

currently i have following programs open:
finder, activity manager, iTunes, mail, Skype.
free memory: 98.8mb.

i like the three/four finger swipe to switch between desktops =], still getting use to the the reverse scrolling.

overall i think that lion wasn't really meant for the older mba...saddly i bought mine four-five months ago and now it's the "old model"

Yuusharo

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
I have to disagree. I, too, have the 2010 Macbook Air, 64gb 11" model with 4gb of RAM. Admittedly, the RAM probably makes the difference, but Lion has been running fairly smooth so far. I usually have several Chrome windows open along with Twitter, Teamspeak, Skype, Mail and Spotify, along with a few Fluid apps for Facebook and Gmail. Full screen mode makes multitasking a lot easier on such a small screen.

I haven't noticed Lion running any slower in real-world usage compared to Snow Leopard. There are a few bugs that cause some slowdowns, though. Any time I navigate an App Store page with Lion on it causes it to lock up for several seconds while it determines whether or not it's installed. I've seen this happen on display models at the Apple Store as well, though those machines are typically faster and the lag isn't as noticeable. I also notice the spinning pinwheel several times while navigating in Safari, though I use Chrome primarily and never have that problem. Issues like that will get ironed out with software updates, hopefully.

Overall, Lion is a pretty decent upgrade. Some performance optimization needs to be done on these 'older' machines, but overall it runs pretty much the same as SL did. The full screen apps alone are enough to keep me from going back for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.