Lion and refit?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Nevalite, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Nevalite macrumors newbie

I was trying to get refit to work on my osx 10.7 today but could not get it working. I used the auto install first, tried rebooting a few times, never came up...Then I tried to do the manual install in the terminal but when it would prompt for my password in terminal I couldn't type anymore and then wasn't able to compete the install.

After all that I decided to remove refit and once it was gone my os would hang at the apple logo and little spinning things indefinitely. If I held the power button down and restarted then it would boot fine. I finally had to use the recovery feature, used the disk repair and everything is fine now.

Long story short, refit and lion, yes/no?

2. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Works fine for me. I don't think it handles encrypted drives yet. I don't use that feature however.

3. Nevalite thread starter macrumors newbie

4. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Manual. Now that you mention it, I did have trouble with automatic installation. You have to delete a startup item it installs as well as a launch daemon to fully uninstall it. Look up a guide for that, I forget where they are exactly.

5. Nevalite thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah to uninstall you need to delete /efi in root and /library/startup/efibless or something like that, I did that when the auto wasnt working.

edit:
    I tried to do the manual install like you did but as mentioned above, after typing the command in terminal it asks for your password and when the password line comes up I can't type anymore, its very weird...

6. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

You could try removing the sudo from the script, then type "echo password|sudo -S /path/to/script.sh". You won't need to input it that way. You do realize that although nothing appears to be typed, it's because the sudo command doesn't display typed characters, right?

7. Nevalite thread starter macrumors newbie

No i didn't realize that...so even if its not showing up I'm typing my password?

8. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

Correct. That fools everyone in the beginning. :D

9. Nevalite thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'll be damned, it worked! Did the manual install, typed my invisible password and it works now.

Thanks a lot res1233

10. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

You're very welcome! :)

11. bobby.is.rad macrumors newbie

On the refit webpage it says that the manual install will bring up the refit prompt even when your computer returns from soft sleep. I put my laptop to sleep all the time, so that would be a problem. Did this happen to you after the manual install?