Lion and Windows Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lawrencecraig, Feb 22, 2012.

1. lawrencecraig macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Require a bit of help or clarification.

I am currently trying to get my windows pc and mac to play nicely. All I am looking to do is get my mac to be able to have read/write access to certain folders on my windows PC. I have looked through multiple guides but not getting anywhere.

So far I can connect ok (using SMB) to my windows machine. I can read/write access (says I have custom access) to the Public and user folders. However with my shared folders on my partitioned HD, I can connect but it only gives me read access. I have tried changing the permissions so Everyone has read/write access but its still not letting me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

3. MatP macrumors newbie

Did you authenticate with a username and password that exists on the windows machine? Make sure you use an account that exists on windows. I believe that the permissions for "everyone" are only for windows accounts on that machine.

4. lawrencecraig thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the heads up on office for mac. Will give it a try.

With regards to the user access, yes, when I connect via SMB I authenticate using the main administrator username and password but still no joy.

5. tombee macrumors member

I am also trying to connect my MBA to my windows machine with no luck.
    I looked into the WinOffice remote desktop download as posted above, but it said was not compatible with os x 10.7 and above (which is where I am).

any thoughts/solutions?

6. tombee macrumors member

Well I tried the remote desktop download from microsoft from the link above and it worked...not sure why it says not compatible with this os version, but...

7. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It's probably because the MS remote desktop app hasn't been updated to include 10.7 in its OS X compatibility list. The advertised compatibility of the remote desktop included in Office:mac 2011 is OS X 10.5.8, or later.