Lion ate my iLife!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sev, Nov 2, 2011.

1. sev macrumors member

Hi all, I've upgraded to Lion as of 2 days ago through the Mac App store.

I decided that I would take the opportunity to do a clean install, and so proceeded to back my files up and then take the leap of faith, reformat and clean install using the restore partition.

My iLife was fully up to date with the latest versions, and now seeing that I had a bare system I cracked the discs which came with my MBP.

The version numbers show as 8.x.x

Yet, this was what was installed on my mac when it was bought only a year ago, and it upgraded fine. Could it be that the Apple store shipped iLife 11 pre-installed and included older installation CD?

I am damned if I am paying again for these programmes, especially as everything has run fine for the last year.

I am thinking of restoring to the last SL state from the time capsule :mad:

or can I restore just he apps folder or individual apps?

all advice gratefully appreciated!

2. dakwar, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

dakwar macrumors 6502

Have you tried browsing to the Applications folder in your Time Machine backup and restoring the iLife apps from there? That i think might do it.

3. sev thread starter macrumors member

is it as simple as just selecting the applications and clicking restore?

4. dakwar macrumors 6502

Should be. But if it doesn't copy over, do it manually: using Finder, browse to backup/computername/MachintoshHD/Applications folder on your Time Machine disk, drag and drop the iLife apps into the folder Machintosh HD/Applications on your current system (replacing the originals on your current system as necessary).

I'm not sure what other dependencies the iLife apps have though and so don't know if just restoring the individuals apps from the Time Machine backup will work. You might have to use Migration Assistant as simsala suggested (or search around google to see what other files along with the .apps you'll have to restore). Hope it works for you.

5. sev thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks Dakwar.

When I installed Lion I did a backup and then decided to do a clean install from the recovery partition.

At the reboot, I saw that my applications and documents had not been moved so without backing up, I thought something had gone wrong.

I decided to use disk utility and format the partition, and then re-install lion again.

It was at this point I saw a totally clean installation and thought to re-install iLife from the cd that came with my macbook pro - labelled software install.

The iLife cd which is with my iMac documentation actually has the iLife 11 picture on the front, but call me stupid the seal is still unbroken and i'd like to keep it that way. I'm just furious that the version of iLife that was shipped on my mac was not the version of iLife included on my CD!

So to summarise, I just go back to my last good time machine backup>
    go into applications>
    select : iPhoto, iDVD, Garageband and iWeb and the restore button should become live?

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You can go to Utilities >> Migration Assistant

Then follow the Wizard screens to select your TimeMachine drive, and you can restore applications from there.