Lion Battery Drain Issue Solved

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by oneofthesedaves, Sep 2, 2011.

1. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro went from around 7 hours of battery life to about 2 hours upon installing Lion. I tried everything that you can think of to correct the issue including reformatting the HD and doing a clean install of Lion. Apple engineers couldn't figure it out either. Apple even gave me a new battery, and the issue still persisted. In the end, it turns out that Carbonite's software that supposedly updated to run on Lion was using about 75-80% of my CPU. It was draining my battery. I deleted the Carbonite app and my battery life is back. I know that others have been having issues similar. Hope this helps.

It was a pain trying to trace it down, but I got a free battery for my MBP out of it.

2. makeyourmovenow macrumors newbie

battery issue

hi there how did you find out it was carbonate, i don't have this app. are u saying that some apps are causing the drain. do u know how i can find out?

3. oneofthesedaves thread starter macrumors regular

Go into Utilities and open the Activity Monitor. Look for processes that are taking up large percentages of your CPU. The one causing my issues was labeled Carbonite Daemon.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I wonder if Carbonite is having some issues with Lion's version feature?

5. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I'm at 49% battery with 1:56 left to live. I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15" with the integrated graphics on. About 45% brightness. Safari, Mail, iChat, iTunes, word and preview are on. Excessive battery drain or normal? My CPU seems normal. 97% idle.

6. PrashP macrumors newbie

Downloaded carbonite....TO THE APPLE STORE BATMAN!!! :apple::D