Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I have a few questions about Lion and making backups and all. So I hear two different things, boot disc and install disc. I assume boot disc is like some kind of recovery software. Like not the whole OS but includes some applications like Disk Utility to fix some hardware problem. There install disc would be like an install disc to upgrade other people to Lion? What I am asking here is the difference because I am confused.

I am looking to make something where I can install Lion just in case something goes wrong with my computer. For this do I need both discs or just the install?

In addition I have seen ways to make both DVD Lion discs and USB Lion discs. Which is the better to use?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I have a few questions about Lion and making backups and all. So I hear two different things, boot disc and install disc. I assume boot disc is like some kind of recovery software. Like not the whole OS but includes some applications like Disk Utility to fix some hardware problem. There install disc would be like an install disc to upgrade other people to Lion? What I am asking here is the difference because I am confused.

I am looking to make something where I can install Lion just in case something goes wrong with my computer. For this do I need both discs or just the install?

In addition I have seen ways to make both DVD Lion discs and USB Lion discs. Which is the better to use?

Both the boot disk and recovery partirion have a copy of Disk Utility. When you install Lion it creates a recovery partition. I first downloaded a copy of Lion from the Mac app store. I then created a boot disk on a 8GB USB flash drive. I boot from the flash drive to perfrom a clean install of Lion on my Mac computers. I use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive before I install Lion. So far I have installed Lion on two of the Mac computers, 2011 27" iMac and a 2009 17" MacBook Pro. My next Mac computer to be upgraded is my 2009 Mac-Mini.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Both the boot disk and recovery partirion have a copy of Disk Utility. When you install Lion it creates a recovery partition. I first downloaded a copy of Lion from the Mac app store. I then created a boot disk on a 8GB USB flash drive. I boot from the flash drive to perfrom a clean install of Lion on my Mac computers. I use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive before I install Lion. So far I have installed Lion on two of the Mac computers, 2011 27" iMac and a 2009 17" MacBook Pro. My next Mac computer to be upgraded is my 2009 Mac-Mini.

So with a boot disc you can clean install Lion and then use Time Machine to recover everything? Also can you just do a simple upgrade from Snow Leopard?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
I just made a boot disc, I think or maybe install, using this method posted by MacRumors: https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/18/make-an-os-x-lion-boot-disc/

So can I just insert the disc into other Macs and upgrade like I did with the Mac App Store or do I need to do something special. This can just be used for something just in case right? Like if my hard drive fails I can boot from this disc for repairs or something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.