Lion broke Canon Scangear software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by namethisfile, Jul 23, 2011.

1. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

Hey guys,

Well, Scangear is not totally broken. I can still scan. But, the problem is that I can no longer "preview" the image, which is helpful for cropping and making adjustments. I have also downloaded the latest drivers from the Canon website, which says are "Lion-ready." I am guessing that it is a Lion issue because Scangear totally works on my Powerbook G4 running on OS 10.4.11.. And by totally, I mean, it previews unlike on my MBP running Lion. I can still scan, by the way. The only thing that doesn't work is previewing it, so when I scan, I am scanning blind. A .tif file is then saved on the Canon Navigator software as usual. And the .tif file is the entire plate since there is no "preview" and I am unable to crop the image.

I have been using Image Capture as a work around, but, has less options than Canon Scangear.

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing? The plate area where the image appears when pressing preview in Scangear is just gray and doesn't change or show anything.

2. Lylipton macrumors newbie

Canon preview problem

This is making me crazy. I, too, downloaded the newest driver, but the preview does not show up. I will call Canon on .
    Monday to see if they have a fix. Preview is a feature I almost always use. Ugh.

3. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

4. RoyalFlushAK(s) macrumors member

yes, OK, me too
    Why no ask Apple for a reverse refund?
    Just call and ask them

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I, too, own a Canon scanner. It is connected to a PM G5 that still runs MacOS X 10.4.11. I do not consider Image Capture to be a workaround. I use it for my scanning almost exclusively. Compared to Canon's sucky TWAIN plug-in interface, Image Capture is light, fast, and just works.

6. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i am gonna call canon about scan gear not allowing previews under lion.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

8. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

For Canadian users, the drivers are here. The description for the drivers for my particular model does not explicitly state that they work with 10.7, even those that show up when you pick 10.7 as the system software version.

9. Bren777 macrumors newbie

I'm also having the same problem. Image Capture works, but I need the other functions that ScanGear provides, like crop etc

10. matthewwhalen macrumors newbie

Continued problem with scangear on Lion

I have the same problem. No preview. I've contacted Canon and twice been told to do the same thing - delete all the files from the previous install of the software and driver, then reinstall the software for Snow Leopard. It didn't work and I still don't get the preview. I've sent them another message -- maybe this time the person will read it and actually try to help.

11. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

you can crop in image capture. just check the custom size box.

my only qualm with image capture is that i think it might have "auto" options that can't be unchecked like in canon gear. i.e., i usually prefer not to turn on auto tone.

12. Bren777 macrumors newbie

Thank you! (I was looking for the option, but didn't notice that tick box - I think it could be made a little easier to notice :p).

13. matthewwhalen macrumors newbie

Update from Canon

I received this from Canon today:

After double checking with the appropriate party, it does seem that
    certain versions of the scanner software are unable to display the
    'Preview' feature in Lion. We are aware of this and are currently
    working on an update to the software. When available, it will be posted
    to the following website:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...scan_series/canoscan_8600f#DriversAndSoftware

The updated CanoScan Toolbox will be found here under the SOFTWARE
    heading (after you've chosen your operating system). The version
    currently there is posted on 11-30-09, so the updated version will
    reflect a more current date once it is posted.

If you need to use the Preview function, you can use Image Capture while
    the update is being prepared. This can be found in the 'Applications'
    folder and is Mac's scanning software.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your
    CanoScan 8600F.

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here. Scangear never worked well for me and once I used Image Capture I haven't looked back. Personally, I can't wait till TWAIN is dead and buried.

15. dmrowley macrumors 6502

dmrowley

You can also try the fantastic VueScan from Hamrick Software. I bought a Pro license about 4 years ago when I used a Windows PC, and the same serial works for Mac and Linux versions. It will install as a TWAIN driver under PhotoShop also. Well worth the $$ if you do a lot of scanning. It has tons of features to get the best quality scans possible. Much better than the Epson drivers my scanner came with

I've been really happy with it, and it is constantly updated to support new scanners and fix bugs.

www.hamrick.com

16. matthewwhalen macrumors newbie

Updated software released

I am downloading it now.

Canon release new software today to support Lion.

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I was using Image Capture, but when I downloaded Lion on day one, my scanner was all screwed up.

I called Cannon and they helped me download the updated software and drivers.

Noe have "MP Navigator EX 3.0" and it works great. :D

Saw in post above Cannon has new software for Lion. It might be what I already have, but will check it out.

18. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

just downloaded the new update and it works! yay! it's the one with the latest post date.

image capture would have been fine. but, glad scangear is working, too.

19. antonymacrumors macrumors newbie

scangear 1.0e

How are you running scangear on Lion? It requires rosetta. Which scan gear are you using for mac? 1.0e. I cant find an intel version anywhere?

Please help.

20. simsaladimbamba

ScanGear Ver.1.30 for Mac OS X via "scangear canon mac"

21. Hexley macrumors 6502a

22. Doc.Dough macrumors newbie

Image Capture seems to still be broken

I have for over a year been unable to scan using a Canon Lide 700F USB scanner after my Mac (running Lion) awakens from sleeping over 5 min. It works fine if you unplug and replug the USB cable but that is not a good solution. It also works if you open Photoshop and scan from inside Photoshop then quit Photoshop.

On a clean machine, after installing Photoshop, Photoshop will not find the scanner until the Lion-compatible driver is downloaded and installed (version 14.11.4). The Image Capture behavior is the same both before and after the driver is installed, so there would seem to be no dependency between Image Capture and the Canon Driver.

However if I launch Photoshop and do File/Import/<Scanner Name>, ScanGear opens to manage the scanner. If I try to launch Image Capture in this state there is no scanner listed in Image Capture, so ScanGear would seem to be blocking Image Capture from accessing the scanner interface.

The same behavior is seen on a Mac running Snow Leopard (except that I didn't install Photoshop on that machine).