Lion bug with TimeMachine???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zjazz, Jul 22, 2011.

1. zjazz macrumors 6502

After installing Lion my TimeMachine acts strange. It says "prepearing for backup" and that's it! Doesn't show the progress of backup or anything. Just stuck in "prepearing".... I stopped and restarted it several times with no change. Any ideas what might be wrong?

2. DePaulBlueDemon macrumors regular

DePaulBlueDemon

My first full backup after Lion took an hour... It may be indexing your drive in preparation of the backup.

3. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I see...I'll try it again tonight...
    Thanks!

4. gblog macrumors newbie

I had a previous backup of my entire MBP with Snow Leopard. Then I upgraded to Lion, and plugged in the Time Machine for the first time.. It took 45 minutes for the ´Preparing Backup´to go away, and then it started backing up things. It got stuck at 857 bytes for about 10 minutes.. then it continued backing up stuff at a 10mb per minute rate (Very slow compared to Snow Leopard) .. It took me 5 hours to backup 7gigs of stuff.

After that, every backup started being faster, like it was on Snow Leopard..

So don´t worry, the first backup is the worst.

5. zjazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, after an hour and a half it started backing up actually! So it works, but really slow, now it's at 36 GB of 67 GB. So probably in about two hours it'll be done. :)
    Hope next back ups will not take as slow....usually it's couple of minutes and it's done...