Lion causing fan to run max speed when connected to ACD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maw4bc, Aug 3, 2011.

1. maw4bc, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

maw4bc macrumors regular

My fan is running at its highest speed when I connect it to my ACD with Lion. Never had this problem before.

So far I have noticed it is specifically when the MBP screen saver comes on, that is when the fan kicks on and doesn't stop. Once I start using again the fan goes back to normal.

Any suggestions? I think it might be a problem with the ACD/Lion connection, as I haven't noticed it when I am just using my MBP.

EDIT: I am using a MBP (early 2011)

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I've had some fan/heat issues with my ACD connection since switching to Lion...nothing horrible, but annoying...I hope this gets sorted out soon...

3. maw4bc thread starter macrumors regular

Any specifics on yours? My fan problem only seems to be when the screen saver comes on. Once I start work again, fan gradually slows back down and there is no audible noise again.

I can't imagine the screen saver taking up a lot of CPU usage.

4. macdudesir macrumors 6502

I don't use screen savers because they cause heat..not to the CPU, but to the GPU. And screen saver still uses the bulbs in your display, a better way to save the display is to set it to turn off after a period of inactivity....it also saves your GPU and fans...GPU because theres less heat on it and the fans because they don't have to run fast and wear out the bearings faster.

5. Tibits macrumors regular

Yep, I don't normally use a screen saver, but the settings got changed somehow and the fan screamed when it kicked in. I expect/hope this should be fixed with the first Lion update.

6. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Mine is intermittently up and down...I really can't figure it out...sometimes the fans run at 2500rpm with the temps at 74 and sometimes the fans run at 6000 at 62 degrees...(always with the 27" ACD connected)...

7. Tibits macrumors regular

Whenever my fans are humming and I check the activity monitor, mdworker always seems to be the hog. I don't get it either, but it is a definite bug as y system has completed its initial indexing.

8. jcg3 macrumors newbie

screensaver causing cpu spike

The same thing is happening to me. Every time I walk away from my laptop, the fan spins up... only started happening after I upgraded to Lion.

I ssh'ed into the machine while the screen was dark, and the screensaver engine was at 195% of CPU (via top). I had been running the photo screensaver... and the CPU had continued to be very high even after the display turned off.

Now I have the screensaver set to my computer name, and I use a hot corner to turn off the display (instead of activate screensaver), and the CPU and fan are much more quiet now.

Hope that helps others looking for a solution to the same problem...

9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I never run a screen saver...the fans just seem to have a mind of their own since upgrading to Lion...

10. wegster macrumors 6502

Same behavior here on SL. The second you've got an external display attached, temps shoot up, and the fans accordingly.
    My 'idle' is anywhere from 3k-4k on fans, CPU temps 71-80*C on external display. 'Idle' in this case is roughly a dozen apps up - 3 different browsers with multiple tabs each, a VM, eclipse, Things, Mail, calendar, a remote vnc connection, several textmate windows, and a Word doc at the moment, but overall CPU is sitting at > 85% idle at the moment, so it's not exactly 'finder only,' but the point being there's an issue with relative temps the second an external display is connected, which may or may not have much or any connection to SL vs Lion, vs the SMC itself and whatever reason these systems go into doubling their temps just by connecting an external display.