Lion claiming some jpegs are apps?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by GuerillaTech, Jul 21, 2011.

1. GuerillaTech macrumors member

After the upgrade to lion, some of my pictures are being reported as apps when I try to open them with preview. I deleted them just to be safe. Is anyone else experiencing this? It never happened in snow leopard.

2. dethmaShine macrumors 68000

Please provide more details.

- files and their paths, etc

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I have seen this issue in the earlier builds. I did not file a bug report because I just remembered :D I would wait to see if it is fixed in 10.7.1

4. GuerillaTech thread starter macrumors member

Images are from deviantart, and that lion galaxy wallpaper that was leaked.
    they were just in the pictures folder.

@mrapplegate
    I hope it will be fixed in 10.7.1. honestly it kinda scared me when i saw the message telling me they were apps and asking if i still wanted to open them. :eek:

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I have not noticed it in a long time. I actually forget the exact wording. If you can get it I would love to search on the developer forum for an explanation.

6. GuerillaTech thread starter macrumors member

it says: “Random File Name.jpeg” is an application downloaded from the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?
    and then under it: Google Chrome downloaded this file on May 15, 2011.

I still have a copy on my backup drive if its not really an app after all.:p

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I can't find anything. I'll keep looking. I remember mine were all .jpg as well not applications. Preview was complaining :)

8. simplulo macrumors newbie

Since upgrading to Lion I have been having the same problem when I try to open .jpg files downloaded from e-mail. The default application is Preview. I can understand Preview being cautious about pdfs, but jpegs? When someone sends me a large number of photos, I have to open and approve each one individually, quite a hassle.