Lion Clean install vs CCC with new SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scmarcos, May 5, 2012.

1. scmarcos macrumors member

Is the clean install with Lion preferable versus CCC when installing a new SSD???
    Please help me!

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

A clean install is always preferable as you are removing any built up stuff from before (preference files that have been left over, etc). However, there is nothing wrong with doing a clone of the drive, it's what most people (myself included) do.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A clean install is always better, provided you want to go through the effort of reinstalling everything. Reconfiguring your settings and restoring your documents from a back up

4. scmarcos thread starter macrumors member

Will LION performance be significantly better with a clean install?

5. heeby macrumors member

Piggybacking on your thread as I am doing the same thing soon...if you put a empty drive in the MBP and use the internet recovery option to install Lion does it install the recovery partition too? I can't find a for sure answer.

6. lamboman macrumors 6502

Unless you have an extremely cluttered install, which'll slow any system down no matter the drive, there will likely be no difference.

7. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Attempted to clone, but something didn't work out so I did a fresh install via internet when I started it with the new drive and :eek: night and day difference.

and I'm completely happy that I did a fresh install, it was like getting a new computer again.

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I did a clean install on my SSD and then transferred over my needed files. I think it was much better and it saved me space as I got rid of files that I didnt need or use or that were no longer relevant.

9. skuid87 macrumors regular

I'd definitely recommend a clean install. Have installed 2 SSD's for friends recently. On both occasions we restored from previous installs (one restored via Time Machine and the other using CCC) and performance wasn't amazing. Didn't really 'feel' the SSD experience. We then did a fresh install and the difference was night & day.

Lion is prone to becoming fairly bloated over time. Best way to remedy is always a fresh install.

10. sh0ebox macrumors member

I did a clean install when I got my M4... honestly it wasn't that much of a hassle. I preferred to do it that way to ensure that nothing would "break" when transferring stuff over and then moving some of my system folders around and symlinking so I could just use my SSD for OS X, apps, and miscellaneous files.

Performance was fantastic once everything was complete

11. heeby macrumors member

What method did you use? I failed miserably last night trying a couple ways and the only one that even started to work right was the internet recovery with the M4 attached as an external...but the timer said 50 hours so I nixed that.

My internet isn't very fast so making an installer USB or internet installing right to the drive both want to take far too long. I want to clean install to the M4 using the built in recovery partition but can't seem to get it to happen.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I did a nice cleaning up of my files (got rid of a bunch of stuff that was no longer needed), then used CCC on my new M4 last night. Everything seems to be working great. My biggest hassle was getting Crash Plan (online backup service) to realize that it didn't need to back up the entire SSD since it was the same as the HDD. Everything else went fine. My Firefox window is open when the icon is midway through it's first bounce in the dock. Feels nice and snappy.

13. sh0ebox macrumors member

I backed up my previous install to time machine first (of course). Formatted my SSD before I put it in (mine came with the SATA --> USB data transfer cable). Burnt Lion to a DVD, formatted my old HDD, then put the new drive in and installed lion. Took out the superdrive and put my old HDD in the optibay, loaded it up and set up my filesystem (symlinks, restoring data I wanted to keep, installing apps).

14. heeby macrumors member

I attached the SSD with the data transfer cable and formatted it. I then rebooted into the recovery partition with the intent to "reinstal" to said SSD but it wasn't recognized by the options. Do you know what I was doing wrong and how I can use the recovery partition on the HDD to install Lion to the SSD directly?

15. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Clean install please. Unless you're restoring from Time Machine backup and that's fine too.

16. scmarcos thread starter macrumors member

17. robgendreau macrumors 68030

A clean install is just erasing a disk and installing everything all over again. Or if installing a new disk, for the first time.

If you clone, you move everything in place, and that's often unnecessary. And slow. A restoration is just that, and is again an attempt to get things back as they were.

You didn't say what you want to move. Some folks have to make some adjustments because of the smaller size of the SSD. So that means that a restore or clone may not be for you.

If I were you, I'd install Lion and use Migration Ass't from the old disk, which I assume you have in an external. You can then choose applications and settings at a minimum. It's faster than cloning in my experience, and preserves the prefs for your applications, etc.

18. scmarcos thread starter macrumors member

Can i choose which application to reinstall or not?