Lion Clean Install (w/backup)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by andrewcroberts, Jul 12, 2011.

1. andrewcroberts macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. First post, let's hope it goes well.

Obviously looking forward to the Lion release that hopefully is on Thursday the 14th, and I tested the GM along with a lot of people.

I was hoping I could pick your collective brains.

Do you think it would be possible to make a second partition, copy all the stuff I want to keep from my existing Snow Leopard Drive to it, then perform a clean Lion install (the boot disc method), copy everything back and then remove the second partition and expand the Lion one?

I see no reason why not, but if anybody has a reason, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
    Andrew :apple:

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I did this and for some reason Lion refused to be expanded.

3. andrewcroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, thanks, do you think I would be able to expand it from Disk Utility on the Lion (or Snow Leopard) install disc?

4. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

I could be wring about this (someone please correct me) but it was my understanding that for a partition to be deleted [lets say "Snow Leopard"] AND then its space recovered into another partition, the partition to be deleted needs to be AFTER the partition to be expanded [lets say "Lion"];

This works fine when you install Lion onto a blank disk and Lion's Recovery partition is installed after the base partition that Lion is installed onto; you have the ability to delete the recovery partition and then expand the base Lion partition to recoup the lost space.

I too have had issues expanding a partition with the space reclaimed from a deleted partition that appears in front of the partition that I want to expand.

John

5. andrewcroberts thread starter macrumors newbie

In that case, it should work fine. I have the backup partition I made, after the main Macintosh HD. The Macintosh HD will be wiped and Lion installed on it, hopefully not touching the Backup partition. Since the backup is after the Macintosh HD, I should be able to delete the Backup partition and expand Lion (Macintosh HD) into it. Right?

(Screenshot Attached)

Attached Files: