Lion clean install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CocoSS, Apr 7, 2012.

1. CocoSS macrumors member

Hello,

I want to do a clean install of Lion on my MBP. I have one HDD with two partitions: HD1 and HD2. On HD2 i have some stuff backed-up (iPhoto Library etc).

I want to clean install Lion on HD1, but without loosing data on HD2. Is this possible ?

2. lamboman macrumors 6502

An install on one partition isn't going to affect other partitions in any way.

3. CocoSS thread starter macrumors member

I know this from the windows setup, but just wanted to make sure not to do anything stupid. I can't afford to loose my pictures :p

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

That's what backups are for. :)

5. hafr macrumors 68030

First of all, having copies of files on the same hard drive is NOT backing up. You should get an external hard drive for this. And remember it's not backing up to just move the files to the external drive. A backup is having COPIES of files on a different drive than the original ones.

But yeah, it's possible. Although I would recommend you backed those files up before doing anything though, because the less you know about what you're doing, the more likely you are to mess things up.

6. jburns macrumors regular

Good advice, although I might take a bit of an issue with the last statement. There is a danger spot of knowledge that increases the probability of messing up. The person that knows just enough that they think they really do know enough to wing it is more likely to mess things up than someone who knows nothing and carefully follows step by step instructions.

7. hafr macrumors 68030

Of course you are absolutely correct, it's like how 18 year old guys tend to believe they're fully fledged race drivers because they've been able to go fast on the highway for a few months...