Lion client on Mac Mini Server?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flipangle, Jul 21, 2011.

1. flipangle macrumors regular

Is there a way to do this? I tried to buy the client version of Lion from the App Store last night but it would not let me buy just the client. The App Store gave me a message saying that since I have a Mac Mini Server, I would need to purchase Lion Server to upgrade. You see, I bought the Mini Server for the hardware, not the server functionality. I don't need the server part and don't even know how to set it up. The client Lion on my Mini would be ideal if I can do it. Thanks for any feedback.

2. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

Yup, client runs fine on a Mac mini server. The problem may be the "upgrade". I doubt you can upgrade from 10.6 Server to 10.7 Client. Therefore, you may need to do a fresh install of 10.7 client.

3. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that I can upgrade to 10.7 client from 10.6 server. The problem is, how do I buy a copy of Lion client if the App Store forces me to buy both the client OS and the Server Essentials?

4. r00b3n macrumors newbie

How to do it.

Go to any one else's mac, yours, your buddy's, your enemy's, whatever - anyone who has the client version of Snow Leopard 10.6.6-10.6.8 and launch the App Store and login with your credentials. Click on buy and then install (It really doesn't install per se, trust me.) When it's finished "installing", the real installer will launch, just quit it. Then go to the applications folder on this mac and copy the install mac os x lion app to a thumb drive, burn into a dvd, etc. Then go the mini server and download/paste it in Applications folder of that Mac. Then run it. Problem solved.

5. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will try my friend's client copy. If it works, I'll purchase my own copy,

6. PharaohMan, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

PharaohMan macrumors newbie

Every time I have tried this on my 2010 Mac Mini Server the installer crashes after it reboots. When I spoke to Apple they said that client will not install on server hardware. I'm sure it is possible, just not sure if there is an extra step to make it happen. Any ideas?

I also tried copying the "Install OSX Lion" app but when I run it, it says that it's "Waiting for the server extension to download" and will not proceed.

7. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

I actually successfully installed Lion Client on my Mac Mini Server. I just took a copy of Lion Client, burned it to a DVD, and booted to the disc.

8. PharaohMan macrumors newbie

Yeah, that was the first way I tried. It got a little way through the install, crashed and then just sat at an install screen with no progress bar after rebooting. I tried it with RAID and without.

9. flipangle thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to hear that. I have no idea why it worked for me but not for you.

10. jameshenderson macrumors newbie

jameshenderson

I am the same (without your crashes though).

----------

Hi - I have burned the downloaded installer to a DVD, but can;t get my Mac to boot from it. Is there something else I need to do to make it a bootable DVD?

Regards,
    James,