Lion code update- iLife apps.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Veryold, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Veryold macrumors newbie

I purchase a new iMac Sept 11 with Snow Leopard installed and a Lion code.
    I have only just utilised the code and installed Lion on an external disc to ascertain how good it was. It does not have iLife apps. and these do not show up for free download.
    I particularly want iPhoto to access iCloud.
    I have a Snow Leopard DVD and an Application DVD that came with the iMac.
    1. If I update Snow Leopard will iPhoto remain?
    2. Can I utilise the Application DVD to load iPhoto on Lion on the external drive?
    If yes how do I do it?
    Help appreciated

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The reason you do not see the iLife apps for free on the Mac App Store is because your computer came with install discs.

If you do an in-place upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7, your iLife apps will remain on the computer. You can also use the Applications DVD to install iPhoto to the external hard drive. After sliding the disc into the drive slot, double click the installer, and proceed until you are presented with a customize option. Here you can install iPhoto by itself onto the drive running 10.7. Note that running the computer from an external drive can result in decreased system performance due to SATA offering better read/write speed than USB or FireWire...

3. Veryold thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks Jedimeister have installed from the apps. DVD and updated and iClouds now working. It is slow on USB but maybe one day Thunderbolt drives will be more affordable.