Lion compatability with 1000Hz gaming mice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DanielCoffey, Mar 27, 2012.

1. DanielCoffey, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012

DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

My trusty four year old Razer Pro|Click 1.6 has started to misbehave so I am looking for a replacement mouse for gaming.

I see that when Lion first launched, folks were talking about the issue that OS X expects mice to poll at 125Hz but these days most gaming grade mice poll at up to 1000Hz and that unless the mouse was supplied with up to date Mac drivers, this could give rise to jittery and unexpected behaviour.

Apparently this issue is now "fixed in Lion" but I cannot find any evidence to actually demonstrate that this is in fact the case. All I can see are older forum posts saying the issue was present, a load of "me too" complaints, a few folks saying it was fine or it can be fixed by apps like USB Overdrive and that's it.

So... given that I am on 10.7.3, can I safely purchase a 1000Hz mouse or will I still have to put up the jitter?

I should add that I do have access to Win 7 and Boot Camp so I can make sure that any purchased mouse is on its latest firmware and also for those mice with onboard memory I can probably create a 125Hz profile if needed.

I am left-handed so am limited to ambi- or the very few left-handed mice and have been looking at the Razer Lachesis (no Mac drivers) or the Razer Deathadder Mac Edition (discontinued).

Razer, despite a 2010 promise to update all their mice with Mac drivers have so far failed to do so. Cyborg Gaming who make the R.A.T. mice have said "by end of 2012" for their left-handed mice.

Could those of you who use up-to-date gaming mice with the higher polling speed who also use Lion please chip in with how you find your gaming mouse responding when under Lion for daily tasks such as browsing and Photoshop as well as any issues you have had with mouse acceleration, button profiles and polling speed.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

2. DanielCoffey thread starter macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

This thread has been moved here from the Lion discussion forum by our kind mods. I would still appreciate an answer to this question.

3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I don't have any problems with a 1000 polling rate on my Razer Naga. I am running lion (10.7.3) with no jitter, lag. I have the acceleration turned to 0 in Razer Synapse.

I had some issues with the left and right buttons when i first got my Naga. They weren't set to the back and forward buttons so i set them correctly with steermouse.

You may want to look at the Razer Abyssus as well. They don't have drivers for OS X but you might be able to use it with usb overdrive and maybe steermouse.

4. aldila macrumors newbie

aldila

Lion compatible gaming mice

I currently use a Razer Imperator on Lion and Win7 via bootcamp and have no issues.

5. DanielCoffey thread starter macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Aldila - do you use either USB Overdrive or Steermouse?

6. aldila macrumors newbie

aldila

steermouse

I have used usboverdrive with an old logitech mouse but i find that with the razer imperator, steermouse works better. I configured all the extra buttons and use the two extra buttons in the middle of the mouse to control dpi speed.

7. DanielCoffey thread starter macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

OK, so it looks like it was "fixed in Lion" then. I'll add Steermouse to the budget.

Thanks folks, that was what I needed to know.

8. aldila macrumors newbie

aldila

Yeah steermouse is great. For "compatibility" with macs the razer software is rather lackluster for what the software actually does. changing dpi and backlit on the mouse is hardly what you would think of as compatible.