Lion concurrent users

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CaoCao, Jul 3, 2011.

1. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Since it doesn't affect the person logged in it may be possible to use Mac minis as dumb clients with a specced out Mac Pro as the server.
    :eek:

2. goMac macrumors 603

Yes, but keep in mind the graphics performance is still going to be pretty poor. It's still VNC. I don't see any reason one would ever use this in a professional setting. Especially in since the Minis would be more than powerful enough for the stuff you'd use this for.

3. CaoCao thread starter macrumors 6502a

The performance would be good enough on an intranet

4. goMac macrumors 603

Not for graphics stuff still. The latency is too high, and OpenGL doesn't translate well.

And if you're not doing OpenGL, the Mini is a perfectly capable machine.

5. CaoCao thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking AutoCAD

6. goMac macrumors 603

Eh. I've never had applications 3D design applications work properly over local LAN VNC.

I think it's more useful for sys admins who want to share smilers applications between machines without multiple licenses. It's also nice for users who want to pop into their home computers and do quick things without interrupting a spouse.

I mean, give it a try with local network now. The performance is not great for a lot of intensive graphical apps.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I've played Star Control II via VNC over a gigabit Ethernet. It ran fine. :)