Lion CPU Usage issue

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by AppleDApp, Nov 16, 2011.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

So my computer was in sleep mode, and it took about 10 minutes for it to wake from sleep mode. Once my computer woke up it would always ask me to close apps because I was using to much memory (I had finder,chrome,itunes and ical open) I ignored the warning because with 4gb of RAM there shouldn't be any issue. The issue persisted do I opened Activity monitor to find this (see picture) Asides from rebooting is there another way to fix the CPU usage of the HP monitor app? Should I be concerned about this?

Attached Files:

2. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

After rebooting I get the same message. Why is it that I am using so much memory?

Attached Files:

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

HP Device Monitor is using way too many system resources. It most definitely shouldn't be maxing out both cores (each core can go up to 100%, hence 196% is 4% away from maxing both cores) and using over 1 GB of physical RAM. It may be conflicting with Lion. Force-quit it from the Activity Monitor and see if that doesn't fix the issue.

4. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I was unable to force quit HP Device monitor. after a third reboot things have seem to calm down but I also haven't used my mac.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Why were you not able to force quit it? How did you try? From the normal force quit dialog, or within Activity Monitor? It doesn't show up in the former, so you have to use the latter.

Also, I noticed you have, in your screenshots, 58 GB of swap space being used. That's a ton! If you only have 60 GB or so of free space, then nearly all of it is being used up by that swap space, resulting in the dialog box you encountered. Rebooting will reset the swap, but you have to figure out what gave you so much. You either need more RAM or something (likely the HP monitor) has a memory leak.

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I know, whenever I don't use mine, everything is trouble free.

I wonder if there's a message there ? :) :)

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Personally, I've never encountered any Mac software that HP has developed that has worked well, drivers excluded.

8. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

You may want to google for "HP Device Monitor memory leak". Appears to be a known issue.

9. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Great thanks! so far there doesn't seem to be any fix for this issue.

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Other than not running it... is it absolutely necessary?

11. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

There doesn't seem to be a way to quit the process.

12. wykehamk macrumors newbie

Of some help???

I've just swapped to Lion on my MacBook Pro and seen the same symptoms as everyone else with high CPU from HP Device Monitor. I tried moving the com.hp.devicemonitor.plist file elsewhere and rebooting, but it did not have any effect.
    I then opened that file and noticed a checkbox 'Keep Alive' which was checked.
    I unchecked the box, saved the file and re-booted - no HP Device Monitor anymore and lots of lovely CPU cycles to use!
    Am on Lion 10.7.3 and downloaded HP Software 2.8 (I think)
    Don't know if it will work for everyone