Lion Desktop vs. Lion Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by radek42, Aug 11, 2011.

1. radek42 macrumors regular

I am considering mac mini (server edition) and I was wondering what having Lion server means for day-to-day usage. I will use the computer for office applications as well as Photoshop workhorse for my photography hobby.

First of all, is there any difference in terms of appearance, preferences, common applications (iTunes, Mail, Safari, etc).?

I noticed on the Apple web site, that server does not support as many languages as desktop version. Are there any other components missing from server version?

I presume that server edition will include additional application and services related to server functionality. How much more disk space is used when server is installed over desktop version (these are "standard" installation and not "trimmed ones to save extra disk space)?

Can desktop version be installed from server DVD? In another words, is there a desktop option during server installation.

I would appreciate insight into this.

Thanks, R>

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Lion Server is not on a DVD, it's only available from the Mac App Store.

It's a set of applications to control the server functions of the computer, which do not in any way relate to how you use the computer if you're sitting at it and using it as a workstation. Servers, by definition, are for performing operations over a network that relate to other units.

jW

3. radek42 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for info.

I do understand general differences between server and desktop editions; I am using both in various Linux distros. I just don't know how Apple differentiates server and desktop flavors.

As I mentioned in my original post I'm planning to use my mini (server edition for its quad core processor) as a desktop mostly for photography; I don't really care for OSX server.

Will I experience any differences in OSX server in terms of appearance, settings, configuration, etc. compared to desktop version? For example some Linux servers will not install graphical interface by default but it can be added later, etc.

I also wondered about disk space requirements for both server/desktop versions.

Thanks for help again.

Cheers, R>

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nope, that's why I made sure to note that Lion Server is not a different flavor of the OS. To get Lion Server, you first install Lion normally, then download the Lion Server Applications from the App Store. Nothing changes, except you now have several applications for controlling the built-in server functionality. Previous versions of Mac OS X did not work this way, but Lion changed many things, including this.

jW

5. radek42 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. This makes it perfectly clear :)

Cheers, R>