Lion Display problem.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by waynepixel, Dec 8, 2011.

1. waynepixel macrumors regular

Hi

I have just brought a new Mac Mini i5 2.3ghz and for some reason Native resolution does not work with the Apple 20" Studio display. I have done some testing to make sure it's not a hardware problem and it's not, I have checked my monitor with my old G4 Mac Mini and the monitor works fine at 1680x1050 @60Hz.

But get this, as soon as I hook up the monitor to my new Mac Mini dvi to HMDi and boot into Windows 7 the monitor works fine at it's Native resolution, if I then boot back to Lion the picture just brakes up with any kind of movement like mouse movement, window scrolling. But if a use a lower non native resolution like 1600x1000 the Apple Studio display work fine, so i'm thinking this must be a software problem, Right? I have put a video online for you to get an idea to what the problem looks like.

If anyone has any solution I would be very grateful because I have run out of ideas.

Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkUmt2j1co

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There are some weird problems with HDMI support in Lion, due to bugs in the OS. Perhaps this is what's afflicting you.

3. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

Must be, as I said before, I have tried this monitor running windows using the same Mac Mini and the apple monitor work fine.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To test that, get one of the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adaptors and try that instead. If it works, then that's where the issue lies.

jW

5. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

Well if that was the case and it was a HDMI problem then you would get the same display problems in windows 7, wouldn't you, but the monitor works fine using bootcamp and Windows 7 so i'm thinking it's a Driver problem and not a Hardware problem?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The theory from other posters was that it was a Lion driver issue with HDMI output. Thus HDMI output from Lion would be affected, but Mini DisplayPort would not.

jW

7. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

Good point.

8. waynepixel thread starter macrumors regular

I have just tried a new MDP to Dvi and the monitor is still producing the same results. FFS.