Lion dmg location

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gngan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I just installed Lion and it's working great. I am trying to make a back up with DVD or USB drive but i can't seem to find the dmg.

When i was in SL, the Lion icon was at the dock and i could show package content ...

I tried to go to App store but it says i'm already installed and can't download it again.

Any one knows the location?

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

It is in the SharedSupport folder:

Navigate to your applications folder
    Right-click (or control-click) on the “Install Mac OS X Lion.app” and select “Show Package Contents”
    Open the “Contents” directory and then go into “SharedSupport”

3. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

Sorry but where is SharedSupport folder?

i went to Application folder but sees no "Install Mac OS X Lion.app".

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You need to do it before installing, because the installer deletes itself. You'll need to redownload it.

5. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Just posting this for everyone thats needs to know. When you download Lion, do not allow it to install if you want to first save the Install file... I just left the installer up on my screen since I could not shut it down. Once you install Lion, the file you need will disappear and you won't be able to do the following.

1. Look in your App folder and find the file "Install Mac OS X Lion"
    2. Right click this file and select Show Package
    3. Look in Contents/Shared Support folder, you will find a file called InstallESD.dmg
    4. Copy this file to your desktop or somewhere else.

At this point you can burn this to DVD using Disk Utility or burn it to a Flash drive. This will allow you to clean install OS X Lion or for backup purposes.

After saving this file or burning it, you may proceed with the install if you just want to upgrade. Of course you always have the option of just downloading it again from the App Store.