Lion does backup on your main HDD

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by seong, Jul 25, 2011.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Today, I was just checking how much free disk space I had, and went to Apple, About this Mac, More info, and Storage. I was surprised there was a section called "Backups." I usually backup with an external HDD, so this was a complete surprise for me.
    Thinking that this was some kind of a feature, I clicked on the "Enter Time Machine" without connecting my external HDD, and there it was, a Time Machine backup inside my HDD!? I have no idea what's going on. It's been backing it up every hour. Is this normal?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

think this is normal, if it cant find the time machine drive it uses your local drive, then next time time machine drive connected it copies it accross

3. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Hm, that's actually interesting. But I do not want to waste my Time Machine backup drive space. That's why I manually backup when I want to.

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I noticed this early today, I am on a macbook and only backup about once a week (unless i do lots of changes)

what I have found, if you have your time machine drive disconnected and you dont want backups during this time, just switch time machine off, it will then give you this disk space back

when you want to backup, plug drive in and turn time machine back on

5. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Thx, that is what I'll do for now. I'm thinking about going SSDs, so I'm hoping this won't be a problem. I do not want to waste my space.

6. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

what drive do you have TM set to back up on? if you picked your internal drive then thats why but if you chose your external drive and it still backing up to the internal then i would say this might be another bug in Lion.

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

its a new feature, if i turn on time machine without drive connected it tells me it is creating local snapshots of my changes

8. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

9. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Why does having a backup when you're away from you backup drive sucks. I know it takes up disk space but I think it gives that space back to you after it moves them over to time machine no? Maybe I'm wrong but I really welcome a more complete backup solution for those of us with laptops who don't always back up every hour on the hour

10. stefmesman macrumors 6502

it does not give you the space back after using time machine to an external...

11. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

Also it is writing to my SSD and putting additional writes on it that it does not need.