Lion does not like being on battery power

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BAC5.2, Aug 5, 2011.

1. BAC5.2 macrumors regular

Whenever I want to turn my computer on using just the battery, Lion seems to freak out.

Lots of lagging, lots of freezing, beach balls, failure to load applications, and difficulty in shutting down.

Connected to A/C, everything is fine.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Nope.

3. BAC5.2 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. It seems to have corrected itself...

Yesterday, I tried loading VMWare Fusion on Battery, and it kept freezing. The day before, I was trying to rip a disc using iTunes, and it beach balled everything I'd try to open.

Today, everything seems fine.

4. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

If you just upgraded to Lion you might experience some stutters and slow downs due to Spotlight re-indexing the filesystem.

5. BAC5.2 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. I did a clean install on a Momentus XT Hybrid drive on Monday. It fully indexed the Time Machine backup that I loaded from.

6. podsorcerer09 macrumors regular

Absolutely. Anytime you start having issues with something related to power you should troubleshoot by resetting the SMC. I've been getting great battery life out of my MBP in Lion, so it could be just a glitch in the upgrade process. These things happen, no matter what version of the operating system you upgrade to.

7. BAC5.2 thread starter macrumors regular

I reset the SMC when I did the update on the old HDD. I didn't do it when I installed the new drive. I'll give that a shot.

8. di1in macrumors regular

di1in

The SMC reset gives only minor differences in battery life. Even if you see anything major it'll settle down in a few cycles.