Lion doesn't like Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dspindl, Sep 30, 2011.

1. dspindl macrumors member

Got my refurbished 17" Macbook pro. Running 10.6.8. I do mostly image (photo) editing, and wondered if I should upgrade to Lion. No problems with OS as it is.
    In checking different forums there seem to be a lot of problems involving Lion that also involve Macbook pros.
    Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. wpotere Guest

The issues aren't just local to pros. There are simply bugs in Lion that will hopefully be hammered out soon. If 10.6.8 is running smoothly for you I would wait until the next patch is released to see of the bugs are addressed.

3. kevin2i macrumors member

Well, 10.6.8 is very solid. 10.7.1 is not quite there.

I did full backups to both my mac pro and macbook pro. I noticed that my GM copy automatically upgraded itself to 10.7.1 - and I noticed it was much improved on the mac pro. So I swapped the SNL with Lion to the SSD. Wow. I wasn't terribly impressed with the developer's editions, but 10.7.1 is snappier. After deleting a history file in firefox, everything is working well.

Moving to the MBP - did the backup, and copied the GM iso, loaded it up, then upgraded itself and 10.7.1 is working well. A little slow on some screen rewrites, however Lightroom and photoshop seem fine. Mission control I find usable (I use spaces on the MBP frequently). Full screen apps are sometimes useful . . . . and Launchpad is even 'ok' - (but ridiculous on the Mac Pro, as is full screen mode with a dual monitor setup).

I would say - if you have an hour or two to kill, an if you have an extra disk laying around, copy or time-machine the MBP Hd, then load Lion. Give it a try, but have a backup. Also - I've been using reverse scrolling for a month, and very intuitive after a few hours.

Sometimes the auto resume stuff is a pain, but easy to work around.

The additional jestures are a big plus. Love 3 finger drag. Just wish I could move a window to another space without going to mission control, or holding command + opt+ arrow.

4. declandio macrumors 6502

You can drag the window to the edge of the screen and hold it there, and it will move to the next space... or is that not what you meant?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have Lion installed on my 2009 17" MacBook Pro. I do not identify any bugs in the OS. This is not to say that everything is honky-dory. It is not. However, the things that I don't like are design choices--not bugs. I would not curl-up into a ball and cry if Apple reversed some of its Lion design choices. However, I am also not counting it either.

6. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

Lion is currently is a piece of crap. i'm running on a 2011 15" macbook pro and it beachballs every 5 seconds on ALL appilcatons and i don't do anything heavy. i cna even take notes on my computer anymore during class because it is always beachballing. it beachballed 7 times in the time it took me to write this reply.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a 2010 model MBP with 8 GB of ram and Lion is running flawlessly and fast. I'd not say tis a piece of crap but rather problems generally can be easily attributed to one of two things
    1. Not enough ram, 2 gb is insufficient, 4gb is ok, 8gb the beast flies
    2. Clean install vs. upgrade. I did a clean install and I get no beachballs

Now those two reasons are probably enough to cover 80 maybe even 90% of the problems with Lion. The other remaining percentage is bugs with Lion. I'm on 10.7.2 as well and that's very stable.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As stated above, my Lion machine is a 2009 17" MacBook Pro. A couple of points:
    1. Have 4 GB RAM installed with zero performance issues.
    2. Simple upgrade from MacOS X 10.6.8 to MacOS X 10.7. Since updated to MacOS X 10.7.1 via Software Update. Haven't done a clean install since the Nixon Administration. Well, maybe it was the first Bush Administration, but you get the idea.
    Unlike many of those having problems, you know what you are doing. The most important thing to understand is that a Mac left to its own devices will generally be OK unless it has a mechanical or electrical/electronic problem.

I note that you are running a developmental version of the next MacOS X 10.7. Obviously, this is not a problem for you. It is interesting, however, that MacOS X 10.7 developmental versions were probably the most pirated of any iteration of MacOS X.

Correlation does not imply causality. However, you have to wonder if the source of many of these bugs is one or more developmental versions of the OS downloaded from the Internet.

9. canadianpj macrumors 6502

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro running 10.7.1 without any serious problems at all really. As already stated here, you should only install Lion with 4GB of memory. I have a friend who does OK with it on 3GB but 4 is where you should be looking at.

If you're at 4 then I say why not? While there are many people who are having problem there are just as many, if not more, that are having none. As is always the case.