Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
When do you guys believe they will equip MBPs with Lion? Right after the Lion release, or will there be a delay. Also, would it be the right decision to wait for Lion to purchase a MBP, pr just grab one with Leopard due to the early kinks which must be worked out. lemme know how you guys feel. Thx

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
There'll probably be a bit of lag time before you're assured to get Lion pre-installed on a new machine, just like there is for every OS X release.

As far as buying right away- I always wait. I let others deal with the problems of the initial release and for patches to be issued for the programs I need to run properly.

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
There'll probably be a bit of lag time before you're assured to get Lion pre-installed on a new machine, just like there is for every OS X release.

As far as buying right away- I always wait. I let others deal with the problems of the initial release and for patches to be issued for the programs I need to run properly.

Ok, that's my mindset as well.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011

+1. Let others figure out what's wrong before you have to deal with it. Stay on SL until you are sure that all your programs will run without any hiccups.

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2011
+1. Let others figure out what's wrong before you have to deal with it. Stay on SL until you are sure that all your programs will run without any hiccups.

Thanks, I definitely will. I'm grateful for the quick responses.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

I've always waited until the .2 or .3 update before updating. On 10.6, I waited till 10.6.3. This also gives the applications developers time to catch up.

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi

interesting, so it sounds like you would recommend buying a macbook now with SL and then upgrade to Lion a little later. This might change my mind on when to buy.

Macsavvytech

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
interesting, so it sounds like you would recommend buying a macbook now with SL and then upgrade to Lion a little later. This might change my mind on when to buy.

Snow leopard was $39 AUD to update last time, could be less with rumors of a Mac App Store style update.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Yup...didn't migrate to SL until 10.6.3 and plan to continue this pattern with 10.7. Especially having ran the DP for a week. It is definitely not fully baked yet.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I just read a thread that the last time an OS was changed, it cost $129 to upgrade? If I buy now, will Apple let me upgrade for free, or will it cost $29?

The last version of Mac OS X that was released was and is still $29, although Apple strongly suggested that anyone not running the most recent version prior to that should buy the $169 Mac Box Set.

Every previous version, except 10.1, sold for $129.

Chances are, Lion will be somewhere in between. It could be as cheap as $29, or as much as $129, and of course, it could be any other price Apple decides, but I suspect it will be somewhere in that range.

Apple has not typically offered upgrades for cheap until after they announce the release date, at least. That is to say, if you bought a new Mac already, you won't likely be eligible for a cheap upgrade, though there will likely be a 2-week grace period, simply because you could return the computer and rebuy, without any restocking fees now. Don't count on that, however, as they may not start the deal for a little while, depending on the release date and if they actually announce it.

jW

Tydog07

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Mi
The last version of Mac OS X that was released was and is still $29, although Apple strongly suggested that anyone not running the most recent version prior to that should buy the $169 Mac Box Set.

Every previous version, except 10.1, sold for $129.

Chances are, Lion will be somewhere in between. It could be as cheap as $29, or as much as $129, and of course, it could be any other price Apple decides, but I suspect it will be somewhere in that range.

Apple has not typically offered upgrades for cheap until after they announce the release date, at least. That is to say, if you bought a new Mac already, you won't likely be eligible for a cheap upgrade, though there will likely be a 2-week grace period, simply because you could return the computer and rebuy, without any restocking fees now. Don't count on that, however, as they may not start the deal for a little while, depending on the release date and if they actually announce it.

jW

Interesting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.