Lion family upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by andrewwg94, Jul 19, 2011.

1. andrewwg94 macrumors member

so there are three macbook pros in my family and of course we are all upgrading. can we just pay the $30 once? each of us have our own apple id. can one person just buy it and sign in on the other two?

2. andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

also, i just helped my friend sell his old pc to get a macbook pro last week. that means he'll be eligible to get lion for free when it comes out. can i just use his apple id to get it? sorry if i sound cheap but i'm broke..

3. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Doubtful. Dude, it's $30. The previous price of OS X was $100 to $130.

$30 x 3 = $90 = a lot less than a single license for Leopard. I doubt they're going to offer a multi-pack.

And I also doubt that the license allows you to "borrow" copies from one computer to another. One computer, one license.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1169451&highlight=family+pack

You can install on as many machines as you control. You can't use someone else's Apple ID to do it.

As Mal put it so well, "You are, of course, wrong. Apple has explicitly stated that all of the terms and conditions of the Mac App Store apply to Lion, specifically the license to install it on all of the computers that you control. That means this is not a single-computer license like the previous DVD versions, but rather a sort of single-owner license (even saying single-user isn't correct, because it is in fact legitimate to install copies on multiple computers that you control even if they are used by other people, so long as they are not being used in a business environment, thus duplicating most of the requirements for the previous version Family Packs, but without a specific limit on the number of computers).

The reason for the confusion is because despite claims of draconian DRM, this is in fact the most lenient license I've ever heard of for a paid OS, or any paid software for that matter.

jW"

5. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

6. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I read conflicting reports. I guess we will just have to have someone test the limits when it is released.

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I hadn't even considered the loopholes which would allow me to install on multiple machines. We have 3 macs in the house. $90 is more than fair considering where we came from with the "other" OS.

Those $179 upgrades were before my time though.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

I was at one of my local Apple stores today and that's what I was told.

11. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

You mean Linux? :p

12. Soliber macrumors regular

Apple changed their licensing paradigm a bit.
    In the days of old you could buy a family pack for any nondescript group of individuals.
    Now, Apple seems to have realized that a lot of people have multiple Macs, so now you can buy a Lion license, tied to your iTunes account, through the Mac App Store.
    Your iTunes account provides authorization to maximum 5 computers to consume content linked to that iTunes account (apps, music, books, full applications and in this case Lion). Everything you purchase through the Mac App Store is linked to your iTunes account nota bene.
    So although as far as I know, Apple does not mention any hard limit on the number of Macs you can use your single Lion license on, you can only authorize 5 computers to your iTunes account.
    So in effect, 1 Lion license nets you a maximum of 5 installs.

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The iTunes limit is only an iTunes limit. The Mac Store is limited only to the number of computers you control. I've got 7 and can install Mac Store software on every one. It's just a matter of giving my Apple login and password to the Mac App store and all the applications previously bought appear and are downloadable. I only have one computer I've authorized iTunes on. Completely different issue.

Will all the people who keep posting "5" please go and read the terms and conditions. http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html and scroll down to "MAC APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES".

14. andrewwg94, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011

andrewwg94 thread starter macrumors member

no the app store is different from itunes. yes they are the same account, but apple has stated that you can download mac apps on all the macs that you own.

what do you mean 3 with different apple id's? source?

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

I read that and what you say is not strictly true either. Free content from the App store can be downloaded and installed on unlimited devices. Paid content is limited to ten devices only.

16. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

How does this work out for families, where there may be multiple individuals with different accounts, but they all are in the same financial pool.

17. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Referring back to the terms and conditions, only one place is "ten" or "10" mentioned: "(i) You may auto-download iTunes Eligible Content or download previously-purchased iTunes Eligible Content from an Account on up to 10 Associated Devices, provided no more than 5 are iTunes-authorized computers." But this is iTunes content, not Mac App Store content. There is NO device limit, paid or otherwise, for Mac App Store content.

One individual can log into their account on any number of systems, go to the Mac App Store, log in with their personal Apple ID, and download any previously purchased apps. The apps are runnable from any account.