Lion Finder alternatives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fuith, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Fuith macrumors member

I'm not a big fan of some of the changes to finder in Lion, one example is the grouping of file types when sorting by kind, e.g. .txt, .doc, .pdf being grouped into Documents rather than just by filetype.

Does anybody know any good (preferably free) Finder alternatives and/or Finder hacks for customisation? Cheers.

2. jtara macrumors 65816

PathFinder.

Only negative is it's still a 32-bit app, one of the few I have on my system. But it's supposed to go to 64-bit in version 6.0.

3. Fuith thread starter macrumors member

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

You might check out Quicksilver. It's a pretty awesome application launcher, but it will find basically anything, and it has many more uses as well.

5. mrderik, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

mrderik macrumors member

If you have a bunch of directories that you go to frequently you should check out 'Disk Order'. Especially if you have mapped network drives and ftp drives. It's pretty basic, a little expensive, and a little odd in how some functions work, but for keeping a dozen directories 'tabbed' in two separate windows all at once it's really quite invaluable. And works fine in Lion.

I have not only 'my mac' directories, but a network drive, Bizhub drive, network 'share' directory and drop box directories all tabbed and just flip between them. It's a pretty slick little single purpose program.

6. jamesr19 macrumors 6502

Total Finder is good as it's a Google Chrome tab version of finder and it adds straight ontop of Finder. I'm not too sure how good the Lion compatibility is with the latest version but it is a good app!