Lion Finder sidebar screwing up network references?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Makosuke, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm having a really annoying problem on both of my home computers that is definitely new to Lion, and I wanted to make sure that it's actually a bug and not a bum preference or something simple like that. Symptoms on a 2010 iMac & 2011 MBP running 10.7.2 with files served from a 2009 Mini running 10.7.2 client (not server).

What I'm doing: Adding several subfolders on a network volume to the Finder sidebar, so that I can get one-click access to the file I want on the network mount.

What should happen (and did under 10.6 and earlier): If the volume isn't mounted when you click on the sidebar item, it is mounted then the correct subfolder opened. If it is already mounted, the subfolder is shown.

What actually happens: For a while, it works correctly. Then, for no apparent reason, they will just stop responding; clicking on the item will result in absolutely no response from the UI--it doesn't even flash. This happens whether the volume is mounted or not. Working or not is on a per-item basis; some on the same volume can work while others are dead.

If you navigate to the subfolder in question and drag it to the Finder sidebar, the "dead" version will disappear and be replaced by the "good" one (I think prior to 10.7.2 it would just add a new one). It will then work for a while longer.

This incredibly useful how-to (which is addressing a completely different shortfall of AFP sharing and fast user switching that predates Lion) indicates that what's happening is the network mount is getting automatically re-mounted (perhaps after the computer sleeps and wakes?) under a different point in /Volumes. I've seen this behavior before, where behind-the-scenes the network mount that was previously /Volumes/Server becomes /Volumes/Server-1; but under all previous versions of OSX, the Finder Sidebar correctly mapped to either the display name or the network path, not the point in /Volumes, so it worked smoothly no matter what.

Is this something specific to my systems, or are others seeing the same behavior? It's driving me nuts!

2. Alphanumeric macrumors member

Has this been resolved? I'm having the same problem.

3. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

I still haven't figured this out, anyway.

I did discover that if you use a 3rd party tool (you could probably do it with built-in stuff, but I didn't try) to share your server volume as NFS and mount that to a point in /Servers (rather than /Volumes), the sidebar behaves properly. It also, notably, behaves properly with multiple users on the client machine--you don't get any permission issues when using the same network volume from another user account.

Unfortunately, it seems to do weird things with some packages (my iPhoto libraries keep showing up in the Finder as folders until you drag-and-drop them onto iPhoto), and somewhat disastrously, Spotlight completely breaks--instead of fast searches from the network volume's database, you get no results at all.

Maybe all these issues would be resolved if I just forked out the $40 for Lion Server. Unless the price goes up, I'm definitely doing that with Mountain Lion Server, and I'll post if it resolves the issues.

4. Alphanumeric macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response. The server I'm experiencing the problem with is stuck on OSX 10.5.8 Server due to the hardware. I guess its time to upgrade to a Mac Mini with latest OSX Server.