Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willie1292

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
My harddrive is having some issues. First i ran disk utility but it didnt fix all the problems (after 5 runs the same issues keep coming up). I decided to try and boot from the installation disc, the only problem is that i dont have one and i am in Germany where i cannot get one easily. If I create a bootable USB drive with Lion on it, can i repair my Snow Leopard harddrive through diskutility?

I have a mid 2010 MBP

Last edited:

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You might need to backup, format, and install. You cannot repair a mounted filesystem, and you can't unmount the booted filesystem safely.

Lion will create a restore partition that you can boot off of to try and repair your bootup drive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
i am in Germany where i cannot get one easily. If I create a bootable USB drive with Lion on it, can i repair my Snow Leopard harddrive through diskutility?

I have a mid 2010 MBP

If you are in Germany, you can get a Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD for 29€ in almost every MediaMarkt, Saturn, MediMax, Gravis and some other computer orientated stores, as the DVD contains all languages, not just German.
But if you reside in an area, where such stores are unavailable, you can install Lion on a USB flash memory thumb drive or HDD and boot from that and do your deeds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.