Lion for free?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mwfernandez80, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mwfernandez80 macrumors newbie

So apparently if you buy ANY mac now you can download lion free? How does that work, could somebody fill me in on that? Also, if it's true, do you have to buy from apple to get it? I'm about to buy a 27" imac from Amazon and I want to install lion right away. Thanks.

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

Any NEW Mac that you buy that still has Snow Leopard (10.6) installed will qualify you to get a free copy of lion via the Apple Online Store. It includes purchases from Apple directly, or from any Authorized Reseller.

More info can be found here...

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

One thing to remember, you don't get Lion for free for all of your Macs. Only the new one that you buy. To install it on other Macs, you'll still have to buy it once from the App Store.

4. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Actually, once you buy and app from the app store (including using the up to date code to buy the app) you can redownload the app to any computer with you account via the app store.

This applies to all apps, and the mac app store treats the lion upgrade as simply another app.

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

Buy, download, and even
    redownload.
    You can install apps on every Mac you use and even download them again. This is especially convenient when you buy a new Mac and want to load it with apps you already own.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That doesn't work for the Lion up to date code. Only the Mac the code is for will see the Lion app as "Install" rather than "Buy".

6. valdore93, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Odd, I had to pay to get Lion for my Mini and iMac after using my up to date code on my Macbook Pro. Yes, I used the code first and used the same Apple ID.

8. iHutch105 macrumors member

Mine worked fine also. I bought a new iMac and got a code from Apple for a Lion download. Then, using the same Apple ID , I downloaded Lion on my MacBook from the App Store by going to my purchase history.