Lion Free Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Killery96, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Killery96 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I know that if you buy a new mac computer from June 6 to Lion's release date (strongly assumed to be the day after tomorrow, July 14), then you may request a free upgrade to Lion, saving $29.99. Supposedly the offer ends 30 days after this. If say, I buy a computer two weeks after the release, anyone know if I can still qualify for a free upgrade? Or will I have to buy it. Seems like it should ship with the new macs, as they're supposed to be advertising new features, but what the hell.

Thanks,

E.

2. basher macrumors 6502

basher

No one can answer that question with guaranteed certainty. The information on upgrading has been spotty at best.

Rumor is that once Lion is released that new Macs will come with Lion as the installed OS.

Remember, this is purely speculation at this time.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

4. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

From the day of its release all new macs will ship will lion. So in two weeks you won't need the up2date program.

5. Killery96 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was my impression that: In the period between June 6 and Release of Lion you can buy a new mac and be able to request a free Lion upgrade from the App store within 30 days of your purchase. If you buy a new mac after Lion's release, it will come with snow leopard and you will need to buy Lion. Is this true?

6. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i have no inside knowledge whatsoever but i am 100% confident that from the minute of lions release apple will ship all macs in every size and shape with lion preinstalled, they've always done so and there is no reason whatsoever to keep shipping SL after lions release. i bet they are already prepping new mba's with lion as we speak.

7. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I would imagine that if Apple does not preload Lion as soon as it comes out, they will still honor that offer. That being said it is only $30.