Lion free upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by JJP9398, Jul 23, 2011.

1. JJP9398 macrumors member

Has anyone gotten the free upgrade with the purchase of a new mac? How long did it take for apple to validate you were qualified for the upgrade? I purchased a new macbook pro last weekend and filled out all the stuff they required over three days ago and haven't gotten anything back yet.

2. ReddDraggon macrumors member

When I did my up-to-date form, I got a code to redeem on the MAS on the webpage after I completed the form, didn't receive an email.

3. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

does anyone else have a rough timeline for this to go through?

4. Tygernoot macrumors member

My wife bought a refurbished 27" iMac on 7 June, so we can have Lion through the uptodate program - although the computer labelled incorrectly on the website: http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/systems.html#refurbished says G0JP2LL/A iMac 27" 2.93 GHZ Core i5 while it's actually an i7.

Anyway, tried filling in both types of forms on the website on Wednesday and Thursday but it never worked, every time rejecting the serial number. Called Apple, said we were eligible for the update but that we had to send a mail to iTunes support. They would answer "within 24 hours" but on Friday of course still no mail. Tried the forms again on the website and the second one now worked.

This afternoon we received a mail from iTunes support saying we do not fall under the Terms and Conditions - they failed to state which condition wasn't met - but that we should try to obtain Lion through the uptodate program on the website (huh? :confused:)

We replied asking which condition wasn't met so in about 10 days we'll probably get another useless answer, but in the meantime we managed to fill in the form anyway. But of course still no code either from the form.

Great support :rolleyes:

So in answer to your question, be prepared to wait a long time :p

5. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

does anybody know of a number I can ring to get this processed virtually instantly? Surely any starter issues should be sorted by now and I shouldnt have to sit and wait for something that should already be here, even though that sounds impatient it is true!

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

The Content Code is shown right after you confirm your information, such as product name and date of purchase.

And they send you an email with it as well but I didn't even notice that after a few days.

7. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

I only hace a claim reference code as I had to do the long form since "Sorry, we can't find the serial number you provided. Please recheck your serial number and enter it again." and "We're sorry, we can't qualify this system. Please fill out the program web form, attach an electronic copy of your proof of purchase and send it.

Take me to the Up-To-Date program web form"

My serial number was correct yet I had to go through a long process just to wait some more. Someone working there somewhere is surely able to process it straight away?

8. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

After finding the number for my local Apple Store I rung the number and it was an automated system which ended with me speaking to a callcentre somewhere. He had me trying the short form - which I have tried many times - then after verifying I was doing everything correct told me to go to iTunes support and send them an email which could take ANOTHER 24hours for a response, at which point they will surely fob me off and tell me to begin the process again and waiting ANOTHER minimum of 24hours. This is turning out to be a shambles, poor work from Apple IMO.

9. trsblader macrumors 6502

I requested my upgrade just a couple hours after Lion was released and had no issues. Serial number was found immediately and I was downloading within 3 or 4 minutes of going through the process.

10. SundayDuffer macrumors 6502

SundayDuffer

No problems here. Couple mins to get redeem code. Half hr for download.

11. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

Well does anybody have the slightest idea of how to sort this? Sick of waiting now.

12. proimage1 macrumors newbie

proimage1

Not sure why you can't get it immediately. I went to the " up to date " site - and put in my serial number and purchase date ( June 21st on my iMac ) and within seconds I had a code to the upgrade and a link to the FREE download. Maybe you should call Apple Care and let them handle it. That would hack me off to if I had to wait when others were getting it instantly ! Good luck !

13. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

Did you go through the whole "upload a high quality photo or scanned image showing proof of purchase"? I have had to go down that route, just print screening a copy of the digital receipt they send to your email address. At the end they gave me a claim reference number but when I spoke to whoever it was on the phone they didnt ask for the number.
    How long have others waited for the email with the number?

14. sallylynn812 macrumors member

I went to the upgrade weblink and put my serial code and date of purchase in and immediatly had the code and was downloading and now have lion running a few hours later.

15. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

Any further updates/suggestions?
    Does anybody have a number that I can phone directly related to this issue, or that will fix this issue for me over the phone immediately.

16. Stino macrumors newbie

I got more or less the same issue: after entering my details on the webpage I got the same message. I called Apple Care for my country and I did 2 things wrong, first of all I was on the Apple page for a neighbor country which speaks the same language but apparently is using another database, so first thing to check is that you are on the correct country site.

The second thing which lead me to this error was the wrong date of purchase. I was one day of the day that Apple registered the sale and this is a check they do against the serial number.

As soon as both errors were corrected I received a code for iTunes and I received the same by mail. Downloading took more time :)

17. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

Have you tried asking for supervisors?

If the person you get initially can't help you, you need to push further....be a little more persistent. The guy who picks up the phone first can NEVER help with problems like these..they don't have the authority..

Don't get handed off with an email address...speak to someone who has more authority. Not hard to get what you want at a call center....just need to be polite and ask to speak with a supervisor. If that supervisor can't do much either, speak with their supervisor...you can get pretty high up before whoever you talk to can either help you, or they personally get in contact with someone who can.

18. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

Im on the Apple Store UK website and I have the correct date but I also tried the day after just to be sure. Neither of the two dates have worked though. Any further suggestions that would lead to me getting Lion tonight?
    Thanks for suggestions so far

19. HussamRaed, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

HussamRaed macrumors regular

HussamRaed

Its Not that hard
    It took me About 3 mins to get it done and about an hour to down lode the Lion

I am running it right now, ( It's So Great !!!)

20. bigbadzac macrumors newbie

Posting its not that hard really is no use at all, if I was somehow going wrong on a form that tells you what to put you'd be amazed I could even create an account to post on a forum.

21. tivoboy macrumors 68030

immediate

I got the code/s immediately after logging into the up to date sight. My question is, I received two codes since there were TWO mac purchases. Can I give the code to someone else and can they use it with THEIR MAS login, or do you think they are TIED to an apple id?