Lion - Freezing after upgrade from SL

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by StevnJ9971, Jul 20, 2011.

1. StevnJ9971 macrumors member

Hey all,

Unfortunately, right now I'm typing this message from my SuperDuper backup made right before the upgrade to Lion.

When I downloaded and upgraded Lion, things went very smoothly. Lion booted up fine, my Mail application upgraded all the messages to the new format, and I upgraded a few utilities. A minute or two of browsing around, and my mouse would no longer respond to clicking. The pointer would move, but it wouldn't bring up the dock (which is set to auto-hide) or respond to any clicks. I had to hard-shutdown my MacBook.

When it restarted, after less than five minutes it did the same thing, leading to a full lockup.

Until I can figure out what the problem is, I'll be using my backup drive to boot from.

2. Razdom macrumors member

I'm getting this too. Cursor can be moved but everything is just froze. I've noticed it happens a lot when using YouTube.

3. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I had this.

I repaired permissions, then shut down, removed the power connection to my iMac.

Once I rebooted all was well.

4. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I'm having a problem where if the computer sits for a few hours with the displays off it freezes. I won't be able to access it through my VNC app or through Air Video.

When I go to my computer I can move the mouse cursor and the password text book appears to exit the screen saver. As soon as I start typing I get the beach ball. I have to hard reboot.

I just repaired permissions, so maybe that will make a difference? The only warning I had during the permission repair was: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreS...as been modified and will not be repaired."

Is that cause for concern?

5. DYER macrumors 6502

Same issues here

Since Lion my mbp (Late 08 2.8) constantly freezes… stays like that and unlocks.

Not sure what to do really.
    Tempted to do a fresh install just don't actually know if it is worth doing…
    One of the things I don't want to loose are my damned iTunes play counts and play lists…. Any way to back them up?

If yes I am seriously considering re installing and NOT using Time machine to restore but to do it manually.

This totally sucks :(

6. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Just wait for an update to Lion. I am sure it will address this issue as many users are experiencing a similar problem to us.

By any chance do you have wifi activated on your computer, or do you have your computer sending out a wifi signal via internet sharing? I did on my Mac Pro and it caused one issue for certain, and I think it might be the route of the crashing problem. The one issue it caused for certain was it prevented me from putting the computer to sleep. The monitors would turn off but the computer itself remained active.

I think the internet sharing was also the cause of the crashing. I since have turned off my airport all together in the computer and have not experienced any more crashes.

7. DYER macrumors 6502

I would gladly wait for an update if it weren't for the fact I need the computer for photoshop and it is - quite frankly - impossible to use like this.
    Hell even whilst typing this message it has already locked up twice…

I shall see how it goes in the next few days but I think if it hasn't been sorted I will just go back to SL for a bit…
    At least I could use it...

8. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Before you give up, try all the cleanup and repair steps, permissions, prebindings, disk repair, clear all caches, look in startupitems, login items, launchdaemons etc. Worth a try. Google for how to on any of this stuff if needed.

9. DYER macrumors 6502

Turns out my brand new WD 750gb Scorpio Black HDD was at fault - did a re-install on both the original 320 gig drive and the new WD drive and the 320 gig version is working perfectly whereas the 750gb drive had the freezing issues. Am going to send back the drive to get a replacement and then do a fresh install!

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to fix the system though!