Lion Fresh Install

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SRLMJ23, Jan 18, 2012.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Can you do a fresh install of Lion with the internet recovery function or any other way?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... if your machine supports Lion recovery from EFI (most 2011 models) you can do it that way, or just make a bootable USB key to install Lion.

3. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Could you go possibly tell me how to do that in the easiest way possible??? God, I wish I knew Mac OS X like I do Windows, I wouldn't have to bother you kind people. Thanks in advance!

4. belvdr macrumors 603

If your Mac shipped with Lion, then you simply reboot and hold Command+R before the machine boots.

See more here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/

For a machine that shipped with Snow Leopard, you need to have the "Install Lion" app in your /Applications folder. If you do not, and have previously downloaded from the Mac App Store, you can hold Option while you click Purchases in the App Store to redownload it. There are guides all over the internet on what to do next (involves burning the InstallESD.dmg file to a DVD or USB stick). That ought to give you enough info to Google search the rest.

Optionally, you can buy a Lion recovery usb stick from Apple if you don't want to mess with all that.