Lion gets all sluggish, especially Safari

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by omro, Jan 16, 2012.

1. omro macrumors regular

Hi,

Does anyone else find that Lion is pretty sluggish from time to time? I find that the spinning wheel appears in Safari at completely weird times and takes a good 20/30 seconds to go away.

I find that the preview app takes way too long to start up also.

It seems at times slower than my old G4 PowerBook running Panther.

I've an early 2011 MacBook with 4GB memory that came with Snow Leopard, that I upgraded to Lion immediately upon purchase. Is this purely a memory issue or a bad coding issue? Might there be an eventual fix and should I just hope for it to improve or should I just get more memory now?

Thanks

2. djshack macrumors regular

I upgraded my mid 2009 MBP from 4 to 8 GB RAM thinking it would make Lion faster. Honestly, it hasn't done a whole lot for overall performance. It does help certain apps, however, such as Lightroom.

Unless 10.7.3 fixes performance, I have a feeling Lion is just going to be slower and more of a battery hog than we're used to. Unfortunate, really.

3. omro thread starter macrumors regular

That's tedious. I get quite frustrated that there are times when my little 7 year old PowerBook G4 surfs the web faster than my six month old MBP.

I hope this sluggishness will be fixed in updated. Are there any acknowledgements or rumours of this being addressed?

4. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

From what I've read, 10.7.3 fixes some of the problems with WI-FI. But does nothing to fix the general sluggishness of Lion.

I'm suffering what you say. Terrible animation lags, and slow applications startup after restarts. Opening Safari for the first time is slower in my new MBP, than in my 6 years old MB.

5. djshack macrumors regular

I've gone to using Chrome for most web browsing, as Safari is sluggish as always. However, the overall system sluggishness is not acceptable.

My work recently purchased a sub-$500 bare bones Dell desktop for me, running Windows 7. That computer runs Chrome, Office, and everything else faster than my MBP, which is just sad.

6. troublesolstice macrumors newbie

moved to a combo of firefox and chrome
    deleted all cloud services except for icloud and removed some apps that had a bit of processes running in background
    seems to be running a bit better now. definitely isn't up to par with snowleopard in speed tho

7. scottsjack macrumors 68000

That's my experience also. My MP on W7 opens Excel 2010 instantly. The same computer on Lion opening Excel 2011 feels like this is happening; something must be looking for Excel then upon finding it hands it off to something else which explores how it might be opened which then actually opens it. And that's for empty Excel sheets!

PS CS5 behaves in a similar fashion with a much shorter pause on the Mac version. Very frustrating.

8. InnerSongs macrumors newbie

InnerSongs

Crappy performance

This post is late to the party, but maybe some added insights to resolving? Maybe not.

Using an i5 MDP 17 and having increasingly bad performance out of Lion. This was not the case until recently (2 months) - Upgraded when avail last summer.

I tend to leave FFox 11.X and 12.X, Scrivener, TextEdit (15 docs open) and Mail running. TM is set to manual. 6 weather channel widget screen running. ( Never a problem in SL. )
    Upon waking from sleep at times, performance would be so bad that sometimes 20 minutes would go by before all the apps were responding properly and without delay. I was tempted to upgrade my RAM from 4 to 8 as some have, but that seemed unlikely to be an issue with my daily APP use.
    I now suspect is is virtual memory (disk swapping) and perhaps a fragmented drive? Has anyone defragged to see if this abates the problem? My 500GB drive is 3/5 full. Perhaps too it is all the auto-saving of latest versions of Docs.
    Does anyone know if there is a auto snapshotting of open documents like TM does?
    Thanks all. ~S