Lion GM "customize" install button grayed out

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by farmermac, Jul 2, 2011.

1. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Not sure why but im getting a grayed out customize button during the lion GM install.

Any ideas?

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Noticed that too, as I like to custom install to get rid of stuff. Been grayed out since at least DP3 if I remember right though.

3. farmermac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up installing it onto my iMac anyways since it has plenty of storage space and it ended up freeing up almost 4gb off my hd.

I wanted to customize to save space on my Mbp's ssd by removing extra crap but apple did a good job. Just did it on mbp and also saved 4gb

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Same here.

Did a restore of the InstallESD.dmg to an external USB hard drive partition, booted a mid-2010 MacBook off it after erasing the contents of the internal HD (to make sure the installer doesn't do an upgrade).
    Also got the "Customize" button greyed out.

A bit annoying.... I usually disable all other languages and all printer drivers.

5. iViking macrumors 6502

Hi, I just found out about this too upon attempting to do a clean, customized install and save some ssd space on my MBA.

Have you found a way to do it without the languages and printer drivers yet?

Thanks

6. vant macrumors 65816

Bump. I do a custom install every time I purchase a new mac to get rid of the printer/language files. I am trying to confirm if I can do this with my 2011 MBA.

Anyone?

7. Quad5Ny, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

None of the optional packages are installed by default anymore (including printer drivers).

If you want a optional package such as a printer driver or Java, you will get a prompt asking you to download it from Apples servers the first time you try to use it.

Other things that used to be on the install DVD such as Xcode now come from the app store if you want them.

Edit: I'm not sure about Languages though, they might still get installed.

8. vant macrumors 65816

Thanks Quad!

I guess this reduces the need for me to wipe every new computer I get.

9. MACWhite macrumors member

i'm not sure about the printer drivers but I use a free program called Monolingual that removes language files and it works great!! it frees up about 2 GB of space and it does work for Lion

10. seashellz macrumors 6502

if none of the options get installed, why bother with a "customize" button in the first place-I mean do you KNOW what you are talking about-you are not given the option to stop downloading the extras unless you KNOW to unplug your DSL cord while doing a clean install-seems i still saw a lot of stuff like cherrokee and Gurji etc
    Epson and Cannon drivers etc

things I always turn off:

extra fonts
    extra languages
    translations
    printer drivers

Rosetta (irrellevant)
    Quicktime 7.6? still there?

---------
    MONOLINGUAL still needs to be optimized for LION as if you use EASYFIND
    you will still see hundreds of 2 digit LPROJ files left behind ie: pt.lproj/ar.lproj/fr.lproj

11. defecta macrumors newbie

I can confirm the customise button is NOT greyed out when creating a new Lion install from an existing Lion Server install. The customise button allows you to create a clean Lion *Server* install disk from an existing Lion Server install, for the purposes of mass deployment.

See this article from Apple for more info. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4746

12. Caesar_091 macrumors regular

Caesar_091

Did someone resolved this issue with the retail version of Lion?

Can't do a custom install from Apple's Thumb too :confused::mad:

13. richb330 macrumors newbie

The Customize button is only available if you are installing OS X Lion Server, otherwise it is greyed out.