Lion GM on MacPro1,1 - is Boot Camp affected?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dermeister, Jul 2, 2011.

1. dermeister macrumors 6502

dermeister

Has anybody tried installing Lion GM on a MacPro1,1?

I currently have Windows 7 (64 bit) installed, and so I'm worried Lion could somehow harm the Boot Camp installation.

2. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Never fear. It doesn't damage it. As for upgrading the Boot Camp 4.0 drivers on a Mac Pro 1.1, it isn't officially supported. The auto run Setup.exe programme won't even offer installing the Boot Camp drivers, so you'll need to do it yourself by going to the Drivers folder and then running, from an elevated command prompt, the 64-bit *.msi installer.

3. dermeister thread starter macrumors 6502

dermeister

Great. I did the .msi trick to install the SL (3.x) Boot Camp Drivers a year ago when first setting up Boot Camp.

Can you confirm that the same trick will work for BC4.0?

Sorry I'm just really anxious about not being locked out of Boot Camp:)

4. PeterHolbrook macrumors 6502a

Yes, I can confirm it.

5. pesos, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

I've installed the GM and I'm running the BC assistant - but when I choose the option to download the files, the indicator makes it about 1/3 of the way and just sits there forever. Just a fluke I hope? I can't seem to get it to finish...

edit: worked after another reboot...

6. PJALM macrumors newbie

I also have the Bootcamp 4.0 drivers working fine on Mac Pro 1,1 only problem is the nice GUI for the volume control, cd eject etc is gone. Also you can no longer eject CDs with F12.

7. l008com macrumors member

I'm in this boat right now. I tried the .msi trick and I get an error message saying that the installation requires elevated privileges, and to install from setup.exe. How do I "sudo" in windows?